Brent Robert Gilliland
Graduation Year: 1984
Hometown: Las Vegas, Nevada
Current Residence: Sherman Oaks, California
Major at Santa Clara: English
Occupation: Airline Captain, United Airlines, LAX
Favorite memory from Santa Clara
- This is so hard to answer! I have so many favorite SCU memories that it is nearly impossible to select the most treasured one of all. I suppose I'll pick the first of my "most favorites" - that great day in 1980 when I opened my acceptance letter welcoming me to SCU as a new freshman. That moment was the beginning of four wonderful years at our great school! It was an outstanding moment, the first of many, many more to come.
Extracurricular activities while a student at SCU
- Student Services
My hobbies and interests
- Spending as much time with my son as possible!
- Sailing and just about anything you can do on and in the water!
Things I am good at...
- Working well with people in demanding and time-critical situations
- Accepting and working effectively with diverse individuals and personalities
- Being highly adaptive to rapid change in technology and social trends with an eye on how such change affects and shapes people and organizations
Expertise that I have acquired in my life and career that I bring to my term of service on the SCU Alumni Board
- As an airline pilot, my work experience has contributed greatly to a personally held sense of global community and commonality.
- Extensive world travel and work-related exposure to numerous cultures, countries and communities have given me a greater sense of how we can, on initial levels (such as through primary, secondary and higher education venues), prepare our students for their roles and responsibilities in this ever-shrinking world.