Dear Santa Clara University Community,
As promised, we write to you today with an update on the recent spike in COVID-19 test positivity on our main campus last week. On-campus testing data from Monday and Tuesday show a positivity rate of just over 1%, a dramatic improvement from nearly 5% positivity over the previous week and indicating that our community has heeded our appeals to curb the spread of the virus on our campus. This is welcome news and can be attributed to everyone’s efforts.
With this encouraging development, in-person indoor instruction and certain other indoor activities (including study spaces in Benson and the Learning Commons) will resume effective Thursday, April 15 (more information below).
While we are pleased with the decrease in positive cases, it is essential that the community continue to slow the spread by taking concrete actions to promote health and safety. Regular, frequent testing is critical, as CDC data show that over 50% of cases are potentially from asymptomatic individuals. In addition, it is imperative that we continue to:
- Complete the Daily Symptom Check via our online form or with the SCU mobile app
- Participate in SCU’s COVID-19 testing program
- Wear face coverings at all times on campus—indoors and outdoors
- Maintain six feet of social distance at all times—indoors and outdoors
- Remember that face coverings do not eliminate the need to follow social-distancing practices—face coverings and social distancing complement each other
- Wash or sanitize hands frequently throughout the day
- Practice good cough and sneeze hygiene
- Report positive COVID-19 test results at 408-554-5100, if the test was administered at an off-campus facility
- Get vaccinated. Anyone over the age of 16 who lives in Santa Clara County is now eligible for COVID vaccination. We strongly encourage all members of our community to get vaccinated. Appointments can be made through this link: https://vax.sccgov.org/home
In order to maintain our improved situation and prevent future outbreaks, students should continue to refrain from gathering in large groups for outdoor dining, for socializing, or for close-contact recreational activities. And just as importantly, please continue to refrain from attending large gatherings at off-campus residences.
Indoor Study Spaces
The Basement Lounge in Benson reopens on April 15. Benson’s operational hours through this Sunday are:
- Wednesday through Friday 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Beginning on Monday, Benson will remain open until 10 p.m. every night and the California Mission Room and Parlor B will reopen for additional individual study space use.
Library Reservable study space resumes April 15. Study space can be reserved online 24 hours in advance online at the library website. Hours for reservable study are:
- Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
We are grateful for everyone’s efforts to protect the health and safety of our community. We are hopeful that with continued vigilance, we can all have a safe and enjoyable remainder of the quarter. Thank you and we wish you a healthy spring term.
Tracking and Tracing Team Lead, COVID-19 Operations Team
COVID-19 Health Ambassador, COVID-19 Operations Team
Testing Team Lead, COVID-19 Operations Team