Chapter 5: Financial Information

Financial Responsibility

Students assume responsibility for all costs incurred as a result of enrollment at Santa Clara University. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of their student account balance and financial aid information and maintain current valid contact information at all times to ensure receipt of all University correspondence in a timely manner. All correspondence is sent using the University’s official gmail account. Students are responsible to check their Santa Clara gmail for important information and updates.

Financial Terms and Conditions

Students are required to accept the financial terms and conditions outlined by the University in order to continue their enrollment at SCU. Students will be prompted to accept the terms and conditions, on an annual basis, upon their login to ecampus. Students will not have access to their Student Center until they have read and agreed to the information contained on the page(s) prompted. By accepting SCU’s financial terms and conditions, students are agreeing to pay and to abide by all policies and procedures.

Tuition and Fees

Tuition, per quarter unit, for all courses...$1,083

Graduate Design Center and Student Association (AGES) fee...$180
Per quarter, for each student enrolled in School of Engineering courses; includes Association of Graduate Engineering Students (AGES) fee.

Mandatory Health Insurance

Annual graduate student health insurance fee... $ 2,911

Santa Clara University requires all students taking two or more classes to have health insurance. Students may either enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance plan or complete the online waiver form each academic year with the student’s own health insurance information. For details on completing the waiver or on-line insurance enrollment option, go to and click on Student Health Insurance.

Graduate students who have medical insurance other than the University-sponsored plan will be billed a $90 health center fee for each quarter they visit the Cowell Health Center. Graduate students enrolled in the University plan may use the health center at any time and the health center fee is included in the cost of the insurance premium.

Other Fees

Non-refundable application fee, per application...$90

Non-refundable Enrollment Deposit (will be credited toward student’s account once enrollment is posted)...$300

Late registration fee (only applies to students who have no enrollment before the late registration deadline)...$100

Course drop/swap fee (per course)...$50

Tuition Late payment fee...$100

Parking Permits

E Permit - (per-year)...$400

F Permit - Leavey and Loyola parking lots only- (per-year)... $280

N Permit - after 4:30PM only - (per year) ... $200

*Note: For parking permit fee information, please go to

Billing and Payment Procedures

Students assume responsibility for all costs incurred as a result of enrollment at Santa Clara University and agree to abide by applicable University policies and procedures. Students may designate a third party (e.g., parent, family member, spouse) to be an authorized user for the purpose of reviewing student account, billing information, and remitting payment on the student’s behalf. However, it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to make sure all financial obligations are completed by the published deadlines.

Students receive monthly bills electronically via a third-party vendor that are accessible through University eCampus. A billing notification will be sent to the student’s assigned SCU gmail account and to the email address of any authorized user. Students may also forward their billing statements electronically to any third party they authorize for remittance. Information on a student’s account cannot be provided to any third-party payer unless a completed Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) form authorizing its release by the student is on file with the University.

Students are obligated to pay the applicable tuition and fees associated with their enrollment status by the published term payment deadline. Students enrolling after the initial payment deadline may be required to pre-pay for their enrollment. Registered students who do not withdraw formally from the University are responsible for all tuition and fees assessed to their account as well as any penalty charges incurred for nonpayment. Nonattendance does not relieve the student of his or her obligation to pay tuition and fees.

Additional information, including detailed instructions on Santa Clara’s billing and payment procedures, is located at the website:

Graduate Programs Billing Dates and Deadlines

The following dates are the initial payment deadlines for each quarter:

Fall 2020 Billing available August 1; payment due August 21

Winter 2021 Billing available December 1; payment due December 21

Spring 2021 Billing available March 1; payment due March 21

Summer 2021 Billing available May 1; payment due May 21

Payment Methods

Santa Clara University offers a variety of payment methods to students to assist with their financial obligations:

Payment by Electronic Check

A student or authorized user may make online payments by authorizing a fund transfer directly from their personal checking or savings account through a third-party website accessible via the University eCampus system. The payer can make electronic check payments without incurring a transaction fee.

Payment by Mail

Payment for student account charges is accepted by mail utilizing the University’s cash management service lock box. The payer should download a copy of the student billing statement, enclose it with a personal or cashier’s check payable to “Santa Clara University” and mail both items to SCU Payment Processing, P.O. Box 550, Santa Clara, CA 95052-0550.

Payment in Person

Payments for student account charges may be made in person by cash or check only at the One Stop Office in the Admissions & Enrollment Services Building. This office is not able to accept any electronic forms of payment. However, there are computer kiosks located in the One Stop Office for the convenience of students and their payers who wish to make electronic payments. The University does not accept debit or credit card payments for student account charges.

International Payment by Wire Transfer

International students may submit payment quickly and securely by going to Students are able to benefit from excellent exchange rates, and payment can usually be made in the student’s home currency.

Extended Payments Options

Currently enrolled students are eligible to enroll in a monthly payment plan to assist with budgeting needs. The online monthly payment plan can be accessed by logging into eCampus and selecting the Financial Account Tile. There is a non-refundable enrollment fee each quarter, but no interest is charged during the payment term. Information about these plans is available on the Bursar’s Office website:

Delinquent Payments

If all charges on a student’s account have not been cleared by payment, financial aid, or loan disbursement by the payment deadline, a late payment fee will be assessed to the student’s account and a hold will be placed on the student’s record. Students who have unpaid accounts at the University or who defer payment without approval, are subject to dismissal from the University. All outstanding balances will accrue ten percent interest per annum on the remaining balance from the date of default in accordance with California state law. Delinquent student accounts may be reported to one or more of the major credit bureaus and may be forwarded to an outside collection agency or an attorney for assistance in recovering the debt owed to the University. The student is responsible for all costs incurred to collect outstanding debt, including but not limited to accrued interest, late fees, court costs, collection fees, and attorney fees. All outstanding bills and costs of collection incurred by the University must be paid in full prior to a student re-enrolling at the University.

Billing Disputes

If a student wishes to dispute any charge on their billing statement, a written explanation should be forwarded to Santa Clara University, Bursar’s Office, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053-0615. The Bursar’s Office must receive written correspondence within 60 days from the billing statement date on which the item in question appeared. Communication can be made by telephone but doing so will not preserve the student’s rights.

Communication should include the student’s name, SCU identification number, the amount in question, and a brief explanation. Payment for the amount in question is not required while the investigation is in progress; all other items not in question must be paid by the due date. If the amount in question is found to be correct, payment must be submitted to the Bursar’s Office immediately upon notification.

Refund Payments

Refunds will be granted only for student accounts reflecting a credit balance. A refund will not be granted based on anticipated aid. All financial aid must be disbursed into a student’s account before a refund is processed. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure that all necessary documentation is completed and submitted to the Financial Aid office so that aid can be disbursed properly and in a timely fashion. Payment received by personal check will have a 14-calendar day hold before a refund can be issued; electronic check payments require a 7-day hold. Credits from overpayments on student accounts will remain on the account for future charges or refunded to the original payer.

Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters

Graduate students who drop courses or withdraw from the University during fall, winter, or spring term will receive a tuition refund in accordance with the following:

  • By the end of the first week of classes – 100% tuition refund, less any applicable fees
  • By the end of the second week of classes – 50% tuition refund, less any applicable fees
  • By the end of the third week of classes – 25% tuition refund, less any applicable fees
  • After the third week of classes – zero tuition refund


Students who drop courses or withdraw from the University during the summer session term will receive a tuition refund in accordance with the following:

  • By the end of day of the second-class meeting – 100% tuition refund, less any applicable fees
  • By the end of day of the third-class meeting – 50% tuition refund, less any applicable fees

Saturday/Sunday Courses/Off Cycle Courses

Students enrolled in a weekend course in which the first class meeting is after the first week of the term must provide written notification, to the Graduate Programs Office, of their intent to withdraw or drop any weekend/off cycle course(s). Failure to comply with this process will result in a forfeit of tuition.

The following refund schedule applies:

  • Students will receive a 100% tuition refund, less any applicable fees, if written notification is received by 5 p.m. on the Tuesday immediately following the first-class meeting.
  • Students will receive a 50% tuition refund, less any applicable fees, if written notification is received by 5 p.m. on the Tuesday immediately following the second-class meeting.

To receive tuition refunds from the Bursar’s Office, course drops must be handled administratively. Students should NOT drop a weekend/off cycle course themselves through eCampus after the first week of the quarter.

Please Note: If you withdraw or drop below half-time status you may no longer be eligible to receive financial aid or student loans. Your account will be adjusted accordingly, and the aid returned to the appropriate program. If you have received a refund for these funds, you must reimburse Santa Clara University immediately. For more information on financial aid forfeiture, please visit the Financial Aid website or make an appointment with your financial aid counselor.

One-Unit Courses

Students enrolled in a one-unit course must provide written notification to their respective Records Office of their intent to withdraw or drop any course(s). Failure to comply with this process will result in a forfeit of tuition.

The following refund schedule applies:

  • Students will receive a 100% tuition refund, less any applicable fees, if written notification is received within two business days prior to the first-class meeting.
  • Students will receive a 50% tuition refund, less any applicable fees, after the first-class meeting unless the course has only one session, in which case no refund will be granted.

Financial Hardship

Students who withdraw from the University or drop courses due to an illness, injury, or psychological/emotional condition are eligible for a tuition refund in accordance with the schedule above. Tuition insurance may be purchased to cover tuition charges for medically related withdrawals that occur after the first week of the term.

Santa Clara University degree students who withdraw from the University or who are administratively withdrawn from the University after the third week of the term due to a qualifying financial hardship may be eligible for an allocation from the student hardship fund for 25 percent of the tuition charges for that term. Qualifying financial hardships include (1) death, disabling injury, medical emergency, (2) loss of job by an independent student, (3) medical or other emergency involving a dependent of an independent student, and (4) student deployment for active military duty. The Vice Provost for Student Life or designee, in consultation with the Financial Aid Office, will determine qualifying financial hardships and any allocation from the student hardship fund. **Students must submit a request for an allocation from the student hardship fund by the end of the applicable term.

No tuition refunds are made because of curtailed services resulting from strikes, acts of God, civil insurrection, riots, or threats thereof, or other causes beyond the control of the University.

Tuition Insurance Protection

Students and families may protect themselves against financial loss due to unexpected withdrawal from the University for a diagnosed medical or mental health reasons by purchasing tuition insurance coverage. The University has identified an insurance company, A.W.G. Dewar Inc., to provide an optional insurance protection plan. This plan is designed to protect from loss of funds paid for tuition should it be necessary to withdraw completely from the University during the term for medical or mental health reasons. Information on the tuition insurance plan is available from the Bursar’s Office and on Dewars’ website.

Financial Aid

Students must be enrolled at least part-time status (4 units) to receive Federal financial aid.

California State Graduate Fellowships

State graduate fellowships are awarded to California residents pursuing a recognized graduate or professional degree who intend to pursue teaching as a career and who have not completed more than four quarters of full-time graduate work as of October 1. Selection is based on state manpower needs, academic performance, and financial need. Applicants should apply using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is available at website:


Students applying for aid may find the most advantageous method of financing their education through loan programs. Among those available to students of the School of Engineering are the Federal Perkins Loan and Federal Stafford Loans through the School as Lender Program. Applicants should apply using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is available at website:

Please Note: A student must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen to qualify for federal sources of financial assistance.


The Financial Aid Office has established deadlines for consideration of the various programs it administers. All students requesting financial aid from the University should contact the Financial Aid Office at the earliest possible date to request specific deadline information and appropriate application materials. Files completed later than February 1 for new recipients and March 2 for current recipients will receive consideration on a funds-available basis. All financial aid deadlines are posted on the Financial Aid website:

Veterans and Veterans' Dependents Assistance

Santa Clara University has been certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs as qualified to enroll students under applicable federal legislation and regulations, including Chapter 35 (child of a deceased or 100 percent disabled veteran, widow of any person who died in the service or died of a service-connected disability, or wife of a veteran with a 100 percent service-connected disability), Chapter 31 (rehabilitation), Chapter 30/1606 (active duty Montgomery G.I. Bill®), Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®), and Yellow Ribbon. Individuals interested in attending under any of the veteran assistance programs should contact the Veterans Administration and the University Office of the Registrar.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Teaching and Research Assistantships

The School of Engineering offers a limited number of teaching and research assistantships providing up to eight units of tuition and, in some cases, a modest stipend. For further information, students are encouraged to contact their faculty advisor or their academic department.

University-Awarded Aid

Individual graduate schools may grant their students a specific amount of financial aid, per term, in the form of Santa Clara University school scholarships. Once the amount has been determined by the school, the information is sent to the Financial Aid Office for processing. The Financial Aid Office awards the aid and sends an email notification to the student’s SCU gmail address only, informing them of their financial aid package and/or any aid revision. Students will be able to see their school scholarship award on e-campus. The award amount will also appear as “anticipated aid” on the student’s account to alleviate the assessment of holds/late fees from the Bursar’s Office. Generally, financial aid is disbursed to the student’s account ten days before the start of classes each term. If eligible, the Bursar’s Office will issue refunds to students reflecting credit balances after the first week of class.

Cancellation of Financial Aid and Return of Funds

Students who withdraw from the University and who have federal financial aid are subject to the federal regulations applicable to the return of Title IV funds. These regulations assume that a student earns his or her financial aid based on the period of time he or she remains enrolled during a term. A student is obligated to return all unearned federal financial aid funds governed under Title IV.

Unearned financial aid is the amount of disbursed Title IV that exceeds the amount of Title IV aid earned in accordance with the federal guidelines. During the first 60 percent of the term, a student earns Title IV funds in direct proportion to the length of time he or she remains enrolled. That is, the percentage of time during the term that the student remains enrolled is the percentage of disbursable aid for that period that the student has earned.

A student who withdraws after the 60 percent point of the enrollment term earns all Title IV aid disbursed for the period. The amount of tuition and other charges owed by the student plays no role in determining the amount of Title IV funds to which a withdrawn student is entitled.

All funds must be returned to federal programs before funds are returned to the state or University financial aid programs and/or the student. The return of funds allocation will be made in the following order for students who have received federal Title IV assistance:

  • Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans (other than Direct PLUS Loans)
  • Subsidized Federal Direct Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loans
  • Federal PELL Grants for which a return is required
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants for which a return is required
  • TEACH Grants for which a return is required
  • Iraq and Afghanistan Grants for which a return is required

results matching ""

    No results matching ""