Portrait (download high-resolution)
Dr. Andy Tsay is Professor of Business and Analytics, in the department of Information Systems & Analytics (ISA) in the Leavey School of Business at Santa Clara University. He teaches primarily in the school's MBA and Executive MBA programs for the working professionals of Silicon Valley. He served as Department Chair from 2010-2017.
He earned his Ph.D. at Stanford University's Graduate School of Business in Operations, Information & Technology. He also holds degrees from Stanford in Engineering (MS) and Mathematical & Computational Science (BS).
Dr. Tsay employs tools of analytics and quantitative modeling to study the management of heavily outsourced global supply chains, with attention to complexity and conflicts of interest. His recent work focuses on how to make supply chains more resilient to disruptions, such as due to COVID-19 or trade wars.
The global news media (e.g., The New York Times, The San Francisco Chronicle, ABC, CBS, NBC, Voice of America, China Central Television (CCTV)) frequently seeks his expert opinions. He has consulted for large firms, startups, and new-venture incubators/accelerators in Silicon Valley and China.
He was the 2020 recipient of Santa Clara University's Sustained Excellence in Scholarship Award, the university's highest award for research impact given to one recipient per year (out of almost 600 full-time faculty, organized into 45 departments).
He has more than 40 professional publications in leading academic journals such as Management Science, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, Production & Operations Management, Journal of Operations Management, Journal of Retailing, and Journal of Supply Chain Management, and periodicals for executive audiences such as Management and Business Review and Supply Chain Management Review. He serves in senior leadership positions for several of these journals (see bottom of this page). Download Dr. Tsay's publications here.
His publications have been cited more than 7800 times (according to Google Scholar). He is the lead author of two of the Top Ten Most Cited publications in the first 20 years of the top-tier journal Manufacturing & Service Operations Management (out of 655 total publications, reported Jan 2020).
In 2007 the Production & Operations Management Society (POMS) recognized Dr. Tsay with the Wickham Skinner Award for Teaching Innovation. POMS is the premier international professional society for the study and practice of Operations Management, with more than 2,000 members in 60 countries. One such award is given each year.
He is an eight-time recipient of the Leavey School of Business Dean's Award for Extraordinary Performance in Research, Teaching, and Service. He has won dozens of other school-level awards.
He serves frequently as a visiting professor at Peking University, hosted by the National School of Development, whose Beijing International MBA program has honored him with its Teaching Excellence Award.
Additional current and past professional roles:
- Associate Editor (focus area: Operations and Supply Chain Management), Management Science, journal published by the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Editorial Review Board, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, journal published by INFORMS
- Senior Editor (focus area: Supply Chain Management), Production & Operations Management, journal published by the Production & Operations Management Society (POMS)
- Associate Editor, Decision Sciences, journal published by the Decision Sciences Institute (DSI)
- Associate Editor, IIE Transactions on Scheduling and Logistics, journal published by the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) (In 2016 the organization name changed to the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE) and the journal name became IISE Transactions)
- Senior Research Fellow, Value Chain Innovation Initiative, Stanford University
EMBA 903: Analytics (Exec MBA)
OMIS 3000: Business Analytics (MBA)
EMBA 801: Quantitative Modeling (Exec MBA)
EMBA 901: Business Analytics (Exec MBA)
OMIS 353: Statistical Methods (MBA)
OMIS 355: Computer-Based Decision Models (MBA)
OMIS 357/3357: Operations Management (MBA)
OMIS 388/3388: Supply Chain Outsourcing (MBA)
Global Business Perspectives - Asia (MBA)
聖他克拉大學 商科教授 蔡安達
圣他克拉大学 商科教授 蔡安达