Major & Minor Requirements
All students wishing to major in management information systems or accounting and information systems must complete both the University Core Curriculum and the Leavey School of Business requirements for the bachelor of science in commerce degree.
In addition, students majoring in MIS or A&IS must complete the following departmental requirements:
- OMIS 30 or 31
- OMIS 105, 106, and 107
- Three courses from OMIS 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 117, 120, 135, 137, 150, 170, and 173
As a Management Information Systems major, you will focus on the use of computer information systems and analytical decision-making methods in business organizations. In addition to mastering all the core Leavey School of Business requirements, you'll specialize in the skills needed to design, implement, and evaluate the computer-based systems that are necessary to manage business operations effectively. In today’s fast-changing, information-driven corporate environment, OMIS majors are in a unique position to develop practical, integrated solutions to complex problems. Their training in both information systems and business places OMIS majors on the fast track toward satisfying and exciting careers.
- ACTG 20, 130, 131, 132, 135, 136, and 138
- OMIS 30 or 31, 105, 106, and 150
- One course from OMIS 107, 111, 113, 120, 135, and 137
The OMIS department also offers a minor degree in MIS for both non-MIS majors in the Leavey School of Business as well as non-Business majors. The minor program provides non-MIS majors the opportunity to enhance their understanding of information technology in general and enables them to apply this technology to their major field of study.
The MIS minor has the following requirements:
- OMIS 30 or OMIS 31
- OMIS 105
- Three courses from OMIS 106, 107, 110, 111, 112, 113, 117, 120, 135, 137, 150, 170, 173, 199
Non-business students minoring in MIS must also complete the following requirements:
- One course in mathematics chosen from MATH 11 or 30
- One course in statistics and data analysis chosen from OMIS 40, MATH 8, PSYC 40, or COMM 110
- Three courses in business chosen from BUSN 70, MGMT 160, MGMT 161, MKTG 181, FNCE 121, or OMIS 108