Skip to main content

2020-21 Leavey Scholars Profiles

• Image links to full content

Brooke Vansant

Class of 2021
    Hometown: Stanwood, Washington
    Finance and Economics Majors, Business Analytics Minor

Leavey School of Business professors are amazing and having a small engaged class really helps to get to know them and their interests.  So far, my favorite Leavey Scholars class has been Financial Management, FNCE 121S.  I had never taken a finance class before and our professor was really great! She gave me a solid foundation for my later finance classes.  My FNCE 121S class definitely helped me progress in my finance internship interviews.  During the summer,  I am interning with Cisco Systems as a Business Analyst for Business Critical Services.

Anne Marie Heywood

Class of 2021
    Hometown: Bellevue, Washington
    Finance Major, International Business Minor

The Leavey Scholars Program provides the opportunity to learn in an environment with fewer students and the most dedicated professors.  Communication in Business, BUSN 179S, tops the list as my favorite Leavey Scholars course. Professor O'Keefe knew how to challenge students to achieve things they would not have otherwise. He is uniquely equipped to connect with and foster unique relationships with each student.  This summer I am working as a finance intern at Apple on the Worldwide Sales team for Mac.  

Ethan Jones

Class of 2022
    Hometown: Portland, Oregon
    Economics (BSC) Major, Philosophy and Spanish Studies Minors

I've really enjoyed the opportunity to work with other Leavey Scholars in group projects and spend time learning from other students in the program. The Leavey Scholars classes I've taken have been focused on the application of the business knowledge that they are teaching, which I really appreciate. They've helped me understand how to translate ideas into actions.

Kristen Lee

Class of 2021
    Hometown:  Carmichael, California
    Accounting Major, Religious Studies Minor

I am so thankful to be a part of the Leavey Scholars program because the students and faculty who are a part of the program challenge me to constantly push myself academically and think critically.  My favorite Leavey Scholars class thus far has been Sean O’Keefe’s BUSN 179S class. I had the opportunity to work on a group consulting project with a company throughout the quarter, and I found the project to be meaningful and actually helpful to the business.  During the accounting recruiting process, I found that my interviewers were interested in the fact that I am a Leavey Scholar. I think that being a part of the program showed my interviewers that I am willing to challenge myself in my academics, which will translate into the work environment.

Matthew Desimore

Class of 2021
    Hometown: Davis, California
    Finance & Political Science Majors

I really enjoy taking classes with other students who are driven and determined to learn and succeed. It really enriches the learning experience.  I enjoyed BUSN 179S (Business Communication) with Professor Sean O'Keefe. It involved a whole lot of reaching out to business professionals off-campus and helped me to develop my communication/leadership/teamwork skills.

Isabella Draskovic

Class of 2021
    Hometown: Culver City, California
    Management Major, Entrepreneurship Minor

I appreciate that the Leavey Scholars Program allowes me to take classes with other driven students who will go on to do great things in their careers. I enjoyed all the professors and it was a nice extra community to have during my time in college.  BUSN 179S,  Communication in Business, helped me with my internship interviews and with building my professional network.  This summer I am interning at Amazon Web Services - AWS Worldwide Commercial Operations.

Ella Cooper

Class of 2021
    Hometown: Greenwich, Connecticut 
    Finance Major

The Leavey Scholars program offers an opportunity to learn among highly-motivated students and passionate professors. I enjoy the engaged attitude of the classes and the in-depth discussions of the course materials.  My scholar classes have helped me build practical and useful skills that can be applied to a business setting.  When starting my summer internship. I felt confident in my networking and business communication skills.  This summer, I am working at PayPal as a Market Research Intern.

Joshua Chang

Class of 2021
    Hometown: Cupertino, California
    Marketing Major, Business Analytics Minor

The Leavey Scholars Program gave me the opportunity to work with so many motivated students. I have been so fortunate to have met and worked with them in the Leavey Scholars Program. Through the group projects we worked on together, I gained a lot of valuable skills and insights and applied those to my internships.  Being surrounded by caring professors and driven Leavey Scholar classmates really prepared me for the professional business environment in my internships. These classes helped give me the confidence to take on various challenges that arise during interviews and internships.

Katarina Draskovic

Class of 2021
    Hometown:  Culver City, California
    Management Major, Retail Studies Minor

The Leavey Scholar classes have been some of my favorite classes at SCU. My peers were so motivated and they pushed me to do my best in all my work.  Thus far, BUSN 179S, Business Communication, has been my favorite Leavey Scholars course.  This class was so valuable to my career growth and I grew so much as a young professional.  The Leavey Scholars classes have challenged me to apply to internships and network with professionals at the companies I was interested in landing positions with.  This summer I am interning at Google.

Robert Kim

Class of 2022
    Hometown:  Stevenson Ranch, CA
    Accounting & Information Systems Major

BUSN 179S, Business Communication, has been my favorite class! It was challenging yet rewarding as we got to work in groups and learn applicable business communication strategies.  BUSN 179S helped with my professionalism for interviews.  I will be working at Deloitte as an audit intern in Summer 2021.