Skip to main content

2017-18 Leavey Scholars Profiles

• Francis Tan

Francis Tan

Class of 2018
    Hometown: Manila, Philippines
    Finance Major and Management Information Systems Minor

The Leavey Scholars Program surrounds me with peers who are as driven as I am to academically excel in college. Through the Leavey Scholar classes I am challenged to go beyond my limits and learn insights that will definitely develop my critical thinking skills.

• Image links to full content

Caroline Dorman

Class of 2018
    Hometown: Lake Oswego, Oregon
    Accounting Major 

I like the Leavey Scholars Program because I feel energized being around other students who are passionate and who push me to think critically. The Leavey Scholars classes have been my favorite classes at SCU.  Marketing 181S has been my favorite Leavey Scholars class so far, because we were given the chance to develop a marketing plan for a real company and I felt like I learned a ton of applicable skills.

Marc Gehrig

Class of 2018
    Hometown:  Redondo Beach, CA
    Finance Major and Management Information Systems Minor

One of the best parts of the Leavey Scholars Program is that the group projects are not an issue because everyone is equally motivated to do well. Also, Leavey Scholars classes have always provided high quality professors. BUSN 179S, Communication in Business, with Sean O'Keefe, has been my favorite Leavey Scholars class so far. It was a pretty small group, so the learning with Sean was very personal. We had great discussions about not just writing, but also business communication skills.

Jerica Schlachter

Class of 2018
    Hometown:  Boise, ID
    Finance Major and Management Information Systems Minor

I love the intimate class sizes that allow me to connect and interact with the incredibly motivated individuals in the program.  BUSN 179 has been my favorite Leavey Scholars class so far, because we were able to get so much out of the project with a dedicated group. 

Natalie Law

Class of 2018
    Hometown:  San Francisco, CA
    Finance Major and Retail Studies Minor

The Leavey Scholars in-class academic and business discussions are highly engaging and insightful. BUSN 179S with Sean O'Keefe has been my favorite class so far, because the projects pushed me out of my comfort zone and required me to stretch my communication skills. BUSN 179S course helped refine my professional communication skills and networking abilities giving me the confidence to develop relationships with senior business professionals during my summer internship at Amazon.

Stephanie Yau

Class of 2018
    Hometown: Mountain View, CA
    Finance Major and Management Information Systems Minor

The Leavey Scholars Program gives me an opportunity to challenge myself and work with my incredibly intelligent peers and learn from them as well. We motivate each other and support each other.  I really enjoyed my BUSN 179S, Effective Communication in Business class. Our Community Consulting Project was a very meaningful project and we valued the opportunity to help contribute to our community while practicing our skills of proposing business ideas and strategies.