Professor Barber received a B.S. degree in Physics from Davidson College in 1984. In 1990, he received a Ph.D. at the University of Maryland, College Park, where he studied superconductivity in disordered films. After graduate school, he continued this work as a post-doctoral researcher at UC San Diego, and then spent two more years as a post-doctoral fellow in oceanography studying air-sea interactions at the University of Delaware. Since coming to Santa Clara in 1995, Professor Barber has built a laboratory where has studied superconductivity and other low temperature phenomena. Currently he is collaborating with Professor McNelis in Chemistry and Biochemistry to investigate improving the stability of polymer solar cells.
- Grace E. Chesmore, Kai-Hsiang Hung, Carrollyn Roque and Richard P. Barber, Jr., “Evaluation of 3D Carbon Nanotube Composite Atomic Force Microscopy Probes Fabricated with Ion Flux Molding,” Journal of Advanced Microscopy Research, 11, 145 (2016).
- Michael Tro, Alexis Sarabia, Kyle J. Bandaccari, David Oparko, Emma Lewis, Maxwell J. Giammona, Parisa Tajalli-Tehrani Valverde, Grace E. Chesmore, Thorsteinn Adalsteinsson, Richard P. Barber, Jr. and Brian J. McNelis, “Structure-function relationships of fullerene esters in polymer solar cells: unexpected structural effects on lifetime and efficiency,” International Journal of Energy Research, 40, 507 (2016).
- Emma Lewis, Bhaskar Mantha and Richard P. Barber, Jr., "Resistance and lifetime measurements of polymer solar cells using glycerol doped poly[3,4-ethylenedioxythiophen
e]:poly[styrenesulfonate] hole injection layers," European Physical Journal Photovoltaics, 5, 50402, (2014).
- Emilee L. Sena, Justin H. Peel, Devin Wesenberg, Shreya Nathan, Marianne Wallis, Maxwell J. Giammona, Thorsteinn Adalsteinsson, Brian J. McNelis, and Richard P. Barber, Jr., “Transport and Spectroscopic Studies of the Effects of Fullerene Structure on the Efficiency and Lifetime of Polythiophene-based Solar Cells,” Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells, 100, 192, (2012).
- Brian H. Johnson, Enaanake Allagoa, Robert L. Thomas, Gregory Stettler, Marianne Wallis, Justin H. Peel, Thorsteinn Adalsteinsson, Brian J. McNelis and Richard P. Barber, Jr., "Influence of functionalized Fullerene structure on polymer photovoltaic degradation," Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells, 94, 537 (2010).
- Hikari Kimura, R. P. Barber, Jr., S. Ono, Yoichi Ando and R. C. Dynes, "Josephson scanning tunneling microscopy - a local and direct probe of the superconducting order parameter," Physical Review B, 80, 144506 (2009).
- Hikari Kimura, R. P. Barber, Jr., S. Ono, Yoichi Ando and R. C. Dynes, "Scanninng Josephson Tunneling Microscopy of Single Crystal Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+Î´ with a Conventional Superconducting Tip," Physical Review Letters, 101, 037002 (2008).
- R. P. Barber, Jr., R.D. Gomez, W.N. Herman, and D.B. Romero, "Organic Photovoltaic Devices Based on a Block Copolymer / Fullerene Blend", Organic Electronics, 7, 508, (2006).