Associate Director of Campus Ministry
Welcome! While everyone in our office reaches out in many ways, I'm the primary campus minister in charge of outreach. What that means is that I want to help you explore what spirituality is, why it's important, and how you can engage with it while you're a student at SCU. Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, a 20th century French Jesuit, wrote that "we are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."
Many people ask why they would want to come to Campus Ministry. Most of the one-on-one conversations I have with students deal with discernment about their future or processing relationships, whether with friends, family, roommates, or significant others. If you're trying to make sense of any part of your life, it's worth a conversation with a campus minister. Stop in, sit down with one of us, and let us know what's going on. We'll help you talk it through...but be warned; we will bring it back to spirituality eventually.
If you're wondering what sorts of things I might be most helpful with, here you go:
- connecting an experience of injustice to your faith,
- processing a difficulty in your relationship or a breakup,
- talking through your unique experience as a first generation and/or undocumented student (see more resources here),
- talking through what it means to be an athlete with a faith or spiritual practice,
- learning what resources are available to you as a survivor of sexual violence,
- living as a person of faith when you identify as LGBTQ,
- wrestling with how to live as a person of integrity amid forces that tell you to subscribe to a particular lifestyle,
- discovering how to begin healing from the influence of alcohol or drugs in your life, whether personally or because of an addict you've known
Outside of Campus Ministry I am so grateful to be married to the woman I met and fell in love with after volunteering with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps. We are currently delighting in the recent addition of our son to our lives. Some of my interests include spending time with Emily and our son, with our friends, baking, cooking, speaking Spanish, soccer (go Quakes!), cycling and other outdoor activities, gardening, coffee, green living, and hobby reading. I also currently accompany the Santa Clara Women's Soccer Team with spiritual issues.
I hope you will make your way into Campus Ministry to connect with one of us. We are here because of you and for you. I look forward to connecting with you during your time at SCU. Again, welcome!