Last Updated: May 29, 2020 at 8:06 p.m.
SCU is committed to keeping our campus healthy and informed of significant new developments. We are working with the local Santa Clara County Public Health Department (SCCPHD) and will share any new information as it arises.
Frequently Asked Questions
- All students must make arrangements to have their belongings removed from their residence hall or neighborhood unit by July 12. Review the Housing Office’s Spring 2020 Move-Out Information for details.
- Father O'Brien announced plans to open campuses in the fall, with modified in-person classes and instruction, to the extent permitted by local and state regulations. A phased return-to-campus for employees will begin on July 6, with designated groups of employees being given timelines for return.
- COVID-19-related student financial aid through the federal CARES Act may be available. Students are urged to go to Santa Clara's CARES Act Relief Fund FAQ page to learn about eligibility, application, and available amounts. The funds are limited and will be disbursed on a rolling basis. Students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
- Important Notification Regarding CARES Act Grants. SCU has posted the federally mandated CARES Act 30-Day Fund Report.
- Father O’Brien has charged seven Resilience and Recovery Working Groups to develop comprehensive plans to prepare the campus for the next 18 months.
- In addition to the commencement ceremonies which will be rescheduled, SCU will confer degrees virtually to undergraduates on Saturday, June 13. The hour-long program will start at noon PDT with pre-festivities beginning at 11:30 a.m. Find details on the Commencement website.
Confirmed Cases: To keep our Santa Clara community appropriately informed about the total number of students, faculty, and staff members who have tested positive for COVID-19, the university is providing a regularly updated tally of confirmed cases.
Classes: On March 16, President Kevin O’Brien, S.J., announced that classes and exams will continue to be held online until the end of the spring quarter.
The SPRING QUARTER start and end date for undergraduates has not changed: it will be March 30–June 5 with the final exam period June 8 - June 11. During the quarter, we have designated the period from March 30 - April 7 as Instructional Preparation time for faculty and students so we can be successful when classes resume fully online on April 8 for undergraduates, and so both faculty and students can succeed in the temporary conversion of our high-quality, personalized, whole-person Jesuit tradition to a virtual format. During the Instructional Preparation period, students may be asked to engage in educational activities such as reviewing course expectations, reading assigned texts, completing assigned work, working on problem sets, watching videos, setting up their technology, and preparing other necessary supplies. Students will need to regularly monitor communications from their professors.
At the graduate level, spring term start and end dates will vary by School.
We have prepared a set of frequently asked questions with information on conducting classes online or remotely.
Student Housing: On March 17, the University closed all of the residence halls, graduate and law residences, and neighborhood units for spring quarter. The expanded County Shelter-in-Place Order took effect on March 31. As a result, the previously announced dates of May 1–8 for students to return to campus to retrieve belongings has been canceled. New dates will be announced pending guidance from Santa Clara County and the State of California. See the FAQ for more details.
Buildings and Services: Malley, Leavey Center, and the Learning Commons are closed, pursuant to the County Shelter in Place Order. The bookstore is closed but available online for Spring book orders and Winter returns. Benson is open for grab-and-go dining options for those remaining on campus. Students are required to follow social-distancing procedures while in Benson.
Events and Athletics: All on-campus events, including Athletics, have been canceled until June 30, in response to continuing County and State shelter-in-place orders.
Email Questions: In addition to sending regular email updates, we established an email address for anyone with specific questions: firstname.lastname@example.org. A previously established phone hotline is no longer being manned due to the County Shelter in Place Order.
Additional Cleaning: To reduce the likelihood of any virus transmission, University Operations has since early March been employing extra antiviral deep cleaning procedures in areas of high touch or contact.
Communication to Students: Students are urged to check their email regularly and come back to this website regularly for the latest updates.
Communication to Parents: Parents are being provided with updates via email. Those who previously opted out of receiving University e-mails may opt-in by going to the Parent Communications Email Sign Up page.
Following the CDC’s guidance to higher ed institutions, SCU's Emergency Operations Center and Infectious Disease Task Force teams are meeting frequently to continue to plan for potential impacts to campus operations.
About the Novel Coronavirus