WHAT IS SINGLE SESSION THERAPY (SST)?
SST is a new counseling service. It is attending session for one time.
SST appointments are designed for students who would like to meet with a therapist on a one-time basis to talk about a specific concern in a very focused way.
Research shows that simply attending one session can sometimes be enough to kick-start the process of making changes to your life.
If you are someone who has a specific problem or situation that is causing you stress, but can’t quite figure out how to navigate through it or to move forward, Single Session Therapy (SST) option may be best for you.
SST can be used by individual students or couples.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A SST APPOINTMENT?
- You will meet with a therapist for about 45 minutes.
- The therapist will offer supportive suggestions and resources.
- You and the therapist will work together on skills and strategies focused on your
strengths to help you address your concern.
- You will leave with a personalized action plan.
Here are some examples of concerns which may be good for SST:
- You have a good understanding of what your issue is, but you just can’t quite figure out what to do about it
- You are facing a difficult problem, dilemma, or conflict and don’t quite know how to resolve it
- You are generally action-oriented and are looking for solutions you can implement now
- You’re having challenges with time management, study skills, stress, or anxiety
- Recent conflict (e.g., with a friend, roommate, partner, or family member) or a pattern of conflict
- Needing to make a decision and wanting to talk it through with someone objective
- Concerns about a friend or loved one who is having a hard time