F-1 Visa Students
Health insurance is an investment in your well-being and peace of mind.
F-1 Visa International
Any number of credit hours
| Automatically enrolled and
charged for insurance
For more information on the SCU-sponsored health insurance plan, including benefits, cost and claims, visit Student Health Plan.
Overview of the U.S. Healthcare System
Important Waiver Information
All F-1 Visa international students, regardless of number of units, must be enrolled in the SCU-sponsored United Healthcare insurance plan unless the student meets one of the waiver exceptions below:
Currently an enrolled dependent on a spouse/parent/partner or employer US based and Affordable Care Act compliant plan.
Attending SCU through the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM) program and currently enrolled in the SACM-sponsored United Healthcare insurance plan.
Waiver Verification Process for F-1 Students
STEP 1 - Determine Insurance Waiver Eligibility
All F-1 visa international students, regardless of number of units must be enrolled in the SCU-sponsored health insurance plan unless the student meets one of the waiver exceptions below:
- Currently an enrolled dependent on a spouse/parent or partner US based and Affordable Care Act compliant plan.
- Attending SCU through the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM) program and currently enrolled in the SACM-sponsored United Healthcare insurance plan.
If YES, (which means student meets one of the waiver exceptions above) go to Step 2
If NO student remains enrolled and charged for school sponsored health insurance.
STEP 2 – Complete Online Waiver Form (insurance card required)
- Students complete the online waiver form prior to the final waiver deadline date. Students who do not submit a waiver form by the deadline date will remain enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan for the entire policy period.
- Upon submitting the waiver form, students will receive a reference number confirming submission of the form. The reference number does not confirm approval of the waiver.
- The Waiver Form will go through an initial insurance review process verifying insurance coverage. As a result of the initial verification process, the student will receive either a Waiver Submission Preliminary Approval email or a Denial email.
STEP 3 – Preliminary Waiver Submission Email Received
- Preliminary submission email for the health insurance waiver: This email will request the student to submit a Credible Coverage letter from their insurance company and documentation confirming coverage for Medical Evacuation (at least $50,000 benefit) and Repatriation of Remains (at least $25,000 benefit). The email will advise students to upload documentation (e.g. plan documents or description of benefits) stating the coverage is available.
- Documents must be submitted via the online waiver form within 10 days of receiving the email. If documents are not submitted within 10 days, students will be enrolled in the school sponsored student health insurance plan and the premium charge will remain on their student account.
STEP 3 – DENIED Waiver Submission Email Received
- Denied email for the health insurance waiver: Email will indicate why the insurance was denied. Students will have 10 days to appeal the denial by submitting supporting documentation.
- If additional supporting documentation is uploaded, the information will be resubmitted through the waiver verification process.
- If documents are not submitted via the online waiver form within the 10 days, students will be enrolled in the school sponsored insurance plan and the premium charge remains on their student account.
STEP 4: Final Determination
- Final Approval email: After uploaded documents are reviewed and approved or denied, A FINAL email will be sent to the student, usually within 3 weeks.
- Reversal of Health Insurance Charge: The health insurance charge will be reversed from the student’s account within 3-5 business days of Final Approval.
GALLAGHER MEDICAL EVACUATION ONLINE ENROLLMENT FORM
Please visit here to access the Medical Evacuation online enrollment form.