Health insurance is an investment in your well-being and peace of mind.
|Student Population||Registered Units|
|U.S. citizens and permanent residents||6 units or more|
International Visa Students
|6 units or more|
F-1 Visa International Students
|1 unit or more|
Enrollment and Waiver Instructions
Undergraduate students who are required to have health insurance, as outlined above, will be automatically enrolled and charged for the Santa Clara University sponsored health insurance plan.
Students covered by an Affordable Care Act compliant plan with comparable coverage to the SCU plan, may waive out of the automatic insurance enrollment by completing the online waiver form with their own insurance by the established waiver deadline date. For specific deadline information please go to the insurance waiver link from the Gallagher health insurance page.
Students wanting to voluntarily request enrollment into the SCU health insurance plan may do so by visiting the insurance link.
Those students losing coverage under their current plan may enroll into the SCU insurance by completing the Petition to Add (PTA) form within 31 days of losing coverage. The PTA form may be found on the Gallagher site under Student Access on the left hand side of the page.
For information on the SCU sponsored health insurance plan, including benefits, premium cost and claims visit Student Health Plan.
Waiver and Benefit Requirements
The following types of insurance plans/programs are not acceptable and will not be considered:
- Insurance plans that are called Travel Insurance do not provide acceptable coverage and may not be used for insurance coverage while at SCU.
- Short Term Medical Plans that are available to purchase on a weekly or monthly basis are not acceptable coverage and may not be used at SCU.
- Socialized medicine policies, including Canadian policies are not acceptable as insurance coverage while at SCU.
- International insurance plans that are underwritten in a country outside of the United States are not acceptable as insurance coverage while at SCU.
- California Medi-Cal health plans that do not have assigned benefit coverage in Santa Clara County. Your Medi-Cal must have assigned benefits in Santa Clara County.
- Out-of-state Medicaid insurance does not cover students in California and thus is not eligible coverage to complete the Waiver.
Additionally, your health insurance plan must include the following benefits/services:
- Health insurance plans must provide coverage for medical evacuation of $50,000 and repatriation of remains of $25,000. (F-1 Visa International Students)
- Health insurance plans must be fully compliant with the Affordable Care Act.
- Health insurance policy must provide unlimited lifetime maximum coverage. Benefits cannot have a specific maximum amount.
- Pre-existing conditions must be covered with no waiting period.
- Health insurance plans must provide coverage for inpatient and outpatient hospitalization in Santa Clara County, CA.
- Health insurance plans must provide access to local doctors, specialist, hospitals and other health care providers in emergency and non-emergency situations in Santa Clara County, CA.
- Health insurance plans must provide coverage for lab work, diagnostic x-rays, Emergency room treatment, ambulance services and prescription coverage in Santa Clara County, CA.
- Health insurance plans must provide coverage for inpatient and outpatient mental health.
- Health insurance plan must be underwritten by a U.S. based insurance company.