Patient’s Rights and Responsibilities
1. Patients are treated with respect, consideration and dignity.
2. Patients are provided appropriate privacy.
3. Patient disclosures and records are treated confidentially, and, except when required by law, patients are given the opportunity to approve or refuse their release.
4. Patients are provided, to the degree known, complete information concerning their diagnosis, evaluation, treatment and prognosis. When it is medically inadvisable to give such information to a patient, the information is provided to a person designated by the patient or to a legally authorized person.
5. Patients are given the opportunity to participate in decisions involving their health care, except when such participation is contraindicated for medical reasons.
6. Patients are informed of their right to change practitioners if other qualified practitioners are available
7. Information is available to patients and staff concerning:
- Patient rights
- Patient conduct and responsibilities
- Services available at The Cowell Center
- Provisions for after-hours and emergency care
- Fees for services
- Payment policies
- Patient’s right to refuse to participate in experimental research
- Advance directives, as required by state or Federal law and regulations
- Provider credentialing
Patient conduct and responsibilities. Patient care is improved when:
1. Patients will arrive approximately 10 minutes prior to their appointment time to ensure adequate time for registration and rooming.
2. Patients will attempt to give 24 hours notice to cancel/reschedule an appointment.
3. Patients are mindful of privacy and confidentiality – both their own and others, while registering and receiving care.
4. Patients are aware of their insurance coverage and carry an insurance card.
5. Patients are open and honest when talking to their practitioner regarding their symptoms.
6. Patients ask questions when they do not understand what their practitioner is saying.
7. Patients will follow the advice/instructions of their practitioner.
8. Patients will finish all medications as instructed. If there are any side effects, the patient will notify Student Health Services.
9. Patients will attend all follow-up appointments.
10. Patients will return to the Cowell Center if there is an unexpected change in their condition.
11. Patients will treat staff with respect, both in terms of behavior and language.
Not meeting with any of the above patient conduct and responsibilities could lead to denial of services at the Cowell Center and referral to the community.
1. Marketing or advertising regarding the competence and capabilities of Student Health Services is not misleading to the patients.
2. Patients are informed about procedures for expressing suggestions and/or voicing grievances to the Cowell Center.