Santa Clara University is engaging its student body to register to vote, gain resources about the variety of ways to vote, learn about the election process, participate in election-related events, and vote on Election Day.
As a participating institution in the ALL-IN Campus Democracy Challenge, Santa Clara University has the following goals for 2018:
- Provide students with information about how to register to vote in California and all other states.
- Provide students with resources about the variety of ways to vote including absentee voting, voting in another state, and voting while abroad.
- Provide students with resources to learn about the election process, candidates, and issues of interest during this election season.
- Provide students with a campus polling location so they have an accessible place to vote on Election Day.
2018 Midterm Election Online Resources
Voter Registration Information for California
- Register to vote in California
- California voter registration information
- California college students and voters living abroad
- The deadline to register to vote in California is October 22!
Voter Registration Information for All 50 States (courtesy of Vote.org)
- Register to vote in any state
- Registration deadlines by state
- Check to see if you are already registered to vote
- Obtain an absentee ballot
- Find your polling place
- Sign up for election reminders
Voting While in College (courtesy of BestColleges.com)
Voting While Abroad
- U.S. Department of State: information about how to vote while traveling in other countries
Preparing to Vote
- 2018 Midterm Election Guide: courtesy of the University Library
- BallotReady.com: "Every candidate and referendum, explained" - explore your ballot, make informed choices, vote
- BestColleges.com: Student Voting Guide
- IssueVoter.com: online platform giving students the opportuntiy to choose the issues they care about and follow
- You may not register to vote in two places (i.e. counties or states) during the same election cycle.
Absentee Ballot Box
To submit an absentee ballot if voting in California, the closest ballot box is located at the Santa Clara County Courthouse, 1095 Homestead Road (which is less than 2 blocks east of the Mission Church off of Homestead Road between Washington Street and Monroe Street).
To vote on Election Day on November 6, the closest polling location to campus is located at Buchser Middle School, 1111 Bellomy Street (which is 2 blocks west of Swig Hall off of Washington Street between Market Street and Bellomy Street). This location is for precincts 4201 and 4208.
If students would like to vote early, there will be 10 Early Voting Centers for Election Day throughout Santa Clara County that will allow voting 10 days prior. Click here to view locations of these Early Voting Centers (scroll down to the middle of the webpage).
Pizza & Politics
October 16, 6:00-7:00pm
@ Dunne Hall (Modern Perspectives RLC), Basement Lounge
Dr. Matthew Harrigan - National Perspectives
Dr. Matt Lesenyie - State and Local Contests
Dr. Dennis Gordon - Moderator
Along with discussing major races and ballot initiatives, the speakers will explore the mechanics of voter registration, the importance of voter turnout in midterm elections, and how to navigate the complex California ballot.
The Philosophy of Voting: "To Vote is to Exist"
November 5, 7:00-8:00pm
@ Benson Memorial Center, Williman Room
Hot cocoa will be served!
Election Day Viewing Party #1
November 6, 3:30-9:00pm
@ Learning Common, Lower Level
Light snacks and refreshments provided!
Election Day Viewing Party #2
November 6, 3:30-9:00pm
@ Benson Memorial Center, Dining Area
Enter raffle for prizes!
For More Information
Contact: Tedd Vanadilok