Abbreviated Preliminary Teaching Program
In addition to the General Requirements an applicant for Abbreviated Preliminary Teaching Program for Catholic and Private School Teachers must fulfill the specific requirements stated below.
Abbreviated Route to the Preliminary Multiple or Single Teaching Credential for Full-Catholic School Teachers
Santa Clara University's abbreviated route to the Preliminary Multiple or Single Subject teaching credential is an option available to Catholic school teachers who have completed six or more years of full time teaching in an academic content area authorized by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
Additional Admission Requirements
- Possess a Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
- Submit a Verification of Employment letter that documents your completion of six or more years of full time teaching experience in an academic content area credentialed by CTC at a regionally accredited Catholic school. This letter, which will be submitted to the CTC with your credential application, must be printed on original, official letterhead of the school or Diocese where you are employed and signed by the director of personnel. This letter is also used to verify your eligibility for Santa Clara University’s Diocese of San Jose Tuition Scholarship (20% reduction in tuition fees).
- One letter of recommendation must be from current supervising administrator.
Santa Clara University Program Completion Requirements
Preliminary Multiple Subject or Single Subject credential candidates on the abbreviated route must complete three courses at Santa Clara University. The required courses and the quarters in which they are offered are:
|Preliminary Multiple Subject Credential||Summer||Fall||Winter||Spring|
|EDUC 273 or EDUC 257-Foundations of First and Second Language Acquisition in Children||X||X|
|EDUC 251- Technology for Teachers||X||X|
|EDUC 261- Introduction to the Teaching of Reading|
|Preliminary Single Subject Credential||Summer||Fall||Winter||Spring|
|EDUC 273 or EDUC 282-Foundations of First and Second Language Acquisition in Adolescents||X||X|
|EDUC 271- Technology for Teachers||X||X|
|EDUC 283- Adolescent Literacy Development||X|
Please note: Catholic school teachers who earn their preliminary teaching credential via Santa Clara's CTC-authorized abbreviated route are not eligible to earn a Master of Arts in Teaching degree in the CatMAT program, even if they earn their clear credential at SCU.
CTC Credential Requirements for the Abbreviated Route
In addition to the required courses, a teacher seeking to earn their preliminary teaching credential on the abbreviated route must satisfy a number of requirements set by CTC:
- Satisfy the basic skills requirement
- Demonstrate subject matter competence
- Pass the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (Multiple Subject candidates only)
- Complete a course in developing English Language skills
- Satisfy the U. S. Constitution requirement
- Satisfy the computer education requirement
- Provide evidence of earning ratings of “satisfactory” or better on rigorous performance evaluations completed by your school principal in two different academic years
For detailed information about the requirements mentioned above, please Click Here
Personal Statement Instructions and Prompt
A personal statement is a required part of the clear credential program application. We give careful consideration to the content of your personal statement and use your statement as evidence of your ability to express your ideas in a clear and engaging manner.
For applicants with no prior Catholic school teaching experience:
Please compose a statement focused on your reasons for becoming a Catholic schoolteacher and your experiences that have prepared you for a Catholic school teaching career (especially your work with children or youth). Conclude by discussing the connections between your reasons for becoming a Catholic schoolteacher, your experiences that prepared you for this career, and your goals as a learner in Santa Clara University’s preliminary teaching credential program.
For applicants who have already been working as Catholic school teachers (including teachers pursuing the preliminary credential via the Abbreviated Route)
Please compose a statement focused on your recent Catholic school teaching experiences. Please be sure to include:
- Relevant background information about the context and the specific work you do there.
- Description of the aspects of the experience you find most engaging and/or meaningful.
- Thoughtful discussion of the impact of your work experiences on your personal and professional learning goals for the teaching credential program.
Additional guidelines for your personal statement:
- Respond to all parts of the prompt.
- Focus on highlighting activities that demonstrate your commitment to Social Justice, Multiculturalism and Diversity.
- Limit your statement to two typed, double-spaced pages.
- You must not receive any assistance writing or editing the personal statement; it must be your own original work.
Required form for the Preliminary MS/SS Credential Program Applicants
This form is a required part of your application to SCU’s Preliminary MS/SS Credential Program. Please complete the form in its entirety, arrange for your principal to complete and sign the form and send it to the Admissions Office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.