Skip to main content

International Applicants

The School of Education and Counseling Psychology welcomes applicants from around the world. In addition to the General Requirements an international applicant must fulfill the specific requirements stated below

a) English Proficiency Exam

A TOEFL score of 90 or above or IELTS score of 6.5 or above is required for international students who completed their post-secondary education in a language other than English. TOEFL or IELTS may be waived if your Bachelor's (and Master's, if applicable) were completed at institutions in which English is the primary language of instruction. However, all applicants may be asked to provide further evidence of English proficiency as needed.

b) International Education Evaluation

Transcript evaluations are required by one of the approved NACES agencies. Applicants to the Master of Arts in Teaching + Teaching Credential (MATTC) program should have their transcripts evaluated by one of the agencies approved by the CTC. Please note, transcript evaluations must include the degree equivalency and U.S. GPA equivalency. We recommend the course-by-course evaluation report.

c) Proof of Funds

United States visa regulations require proof that sufficient funds are available to finance your travel, living expenses, and program study. Please refer to the International Student Services website for an up-to-date estimate of the cost associated with a full year of academic study in the ECP.

After the receipt of the official acceptance letter, the student should contact the ECP Admissions office,, for the I-20 documentation to apply for a F-1 student visa.  When this is completed it will be forwarded to the International Student Services Office.  

International Application Deadlines

For all Programs except MATTC

Quarter Deadline
Spring 2016 January 15, 2016
Summer 2016 February 12, 2016
Fall 2016 May 13, 2016


International students for MATTC program are eligible to apply only in regular Fall and Winter quarters. 

Important note on H4 visa holders: The spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 of an H1-B visa (temporary work visa for the highly skilled) holder are awarded the H4 visa for their stay in the US. An H4 visa holder is not allowed to undertake employment in the US, but an H4 visa holder can pursue education. It is possible to convert an H4 visa to F1 visa (student visa) for full-time education at an academic institution recognized by the USCIS (Immigration and Naturalization Service). 

Mandatory Health Insurance

International students are required to show proof of health insurance coverage to waive purchase of the University plan. Click here for more information about the University's health insurance policies and options.