Applying for the Health Care Ethics Internship
The application period for the 2016-2017 program is now open.
Applications are due by Friday, March 4, 2016 at 5 p.m.
The Health Care Ethics Internship program, sponsored by the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, in partnership with local hospitals and other health care facilities, is open to all rising Santa Clara University junior and senior undergraduates who are interested in health care ethics. Since there are a limited number of placements available, students will be selected based on qualifications and interviews.
A firm commitment of one academic year is required. This includes five hours a week of clinical rotations, plus reflection sessions on Tuesdays from 5:40-7:20 p.m (approximately six sessions per quarter). The internship is a five-credit upper-division pass/no pass course for which students register in the spring quarter. At least one Ethics course taken at Santa Clara University, or an approved equivalent, is required prior to the start of the internship in September 2016. Accepted students will be asked to provide verification that the Ethics course was completed with a passing grade.
Completed applications are due by March 4, 2016 at 5 p.m. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Completed applications should include:
- The Application Form (Including the Letter of Intent)
- Letter of Intent (300-500 words)—State your objectives and goals for participating in the Health Care Ethics Internship.
- Two Recommendations* - At least one must be from an SCU faculty member who can speak to your aptitude and interest in the internship. The second may be from an SCU staff/faculty member, a previous or current employer, advisor, church or community leader. Neither may be from a family member or friend.
- Your official SCU transcript. (If you are a transfer student, please also include official transcripts from previous colleges/universities you have attended.)
Please be sure to open the Application Packet & Recommendation Forms with Adobe Reader. (Download Adobe Reader XI for free). If working on a Mac, do NOT open/save in Preview.
Completed applications must be submitted 2 ways:
- An electronic copy of the Application Form (including the Letter of Intent) should be emailed to Anna Kozas, Bioethics Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A hard copy of your Application Form (including the Letter of Intent) and Recommendations* should be brought to Anna Kozas at the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics (Vari Hall, 1st Floor).
Interviews with staff members from the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics will be arranged upon completion of the previous items. Please note that not all applicants will be invited for an interview.
Please note that when accepted into the program, all health care ethics interns must consent to a background screen and health screening process, before the end of Spring Quarter 2017, and be cleared by the hospital(s) in order to participate in the program.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call Anna Kozas, Bioethics Program Coordinator, Markkula Center for Applied Ethics at (408) 554-5716.
*Recommendations can be mailed/emailed directly from the recommender OR submitted by the applicant (hard copies only). If submitted by the applicant, envelopes must be sealed and signed across the flap, by the recommender.
Further instruction can be found on the PDF form, for recommenders, “2016-17 HCEI Application—Letter of Recommendation.”