Catala Club History
The Catala Club of Santa Clara University was established by James J. Lyons, S.J., in 1930, one hundred years after the death of Magin Catala, O.F.M. who was known as the “The Holy Man of Santa Clara.”
Magin Catala was born in Spain on June 13, 1761, and entered a Franciscan Monastery at age 16. He was ordained a priest in 1785. The following year, Fr. Catala left Spain and spent the next six years in apostolic work among the Indians in the mission areas of New Spain, now Mexico.
In 1794, Fr. Catala arrived at Mission Santa Clara in Alta California and spent the next 36 years teaching the basics of Christianity, reading, writing, and farming.
Fr. Catala died on November 22, 1830, and his body was interred in the Mission Church on what would become the Santa Clara University campus. A bronze plaque commemorating his life and indicating the site of his grave is located to the left of the Crucifix Altar in the church.
What is Catala Club?
From its first meeting on April 27, 1930, to today, the Catala Club has welcomed women of diverse backgrounds and occupations to become part of the Santa Clara University family and to contribute to the university’s educational mission.
The Catala Club began as a support group of ladies who volunteered to assist the Jesuits at Santa Clara in caring for the vestments, altar linens, and other needs of the Mission Church. The club evolved into a women’s service organization.
The Catala Club has a long tradition of selfless service and dedication toSanta Clara University. Our motto is Service, Support and Spirituality.
The Catala Club’s main activity is to provide financial assistance to deserving undergraduate students at Santa Clara. Fundraising events are held periodically, with two major fundraisers during the academic year, the SCU Catala Club Annual Fashion Show in the fall, and Casino Night in the spring.
Many members of Catala also belong to other campus organizations and many are recognized through the President’s Club for their generosity. In the 2015-2016 academic year, Catala Club had over $16,000,000 in endowed funds that provided twenty-five (25) students with scholarships totaling $482,550.
Catala Club Endowed Scholarship Fund for 2015-2016 academic year:
- established in 1930
- principal balance as of June 30, 2015: $3,036,385
- income allocated for scholarships was $112,950
- Seven (7) students received Catala Scholarship support this academic year
The Paul Locatelli, S.J. Endowed Scholarship Fund:
- established 1997
- principal balance as of June 30. 2015: $1,218,164
- income allocated for scholarships was $45,630
- Five (5) students received funds this academic year
The William F. Donnelly, S.J. Endowed Scholarship Fund:
- established 1977
- principal balance as of June 30, 2015: $241,503
- income allocated for scholarships was $9,350
- One (1) student received funds this academic year
The Catala Club Endowed Scholarship in Memory of Emma Anderson:
- established in 2012
- principal balance as of June 30, 2015: $11,000,838
- income allocated for scholarships was $314,503
- Twelve (12) students received funds this academic year
The Catala Club Endowed Scholarship in Memory of Francis and And Rosella Kreuzer:
- established in 2015
- principal balance as of December 31, 2015: $151,519
- Anticipated that there will be sufficient income to fund one (1) scholarship in the next academic year
The Catala Club Endowment Scholarship Fund in Memory of Annette Bertram is being established with a gift of $1,500,000.
The symbol of the Club is a pink rose. The Club’s pin is triangular. The top symbolizes God and the base symbolizes friendship among its members. The pin also represents the three special virtues embodied in the Catala motto: Service, Support and Spirituality.
The Catala Club Coat of Arms
Red and Gold
Defense of truth and wisdom
Greek emblem of the fine arts and an early Christian symbol of immortality
Upper Left Quarter
From the Coat of Arms of the Family of Saint Ignatius of Loyola
Upper Right Quarter
From the Coat of Arms of the Franciscan Order
Circular Seal of Santa Clara University with IHS (the first three letters of the name of Jesus in Greek); three nails of the Crucifixion; the American Eagle; thirteen stars representing the original American colonies; 1851, the founding date of the University; A.M.D.G., the Jesuit motto: “Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam” (for the Greater Glory of God)
Lower Left Quarter
Mission Santa Clara de Assis founded January 12, 1777
Lower Right Quarter
Mission Bell inscribed with the Spanish Bourbon Coat of Arms, the symbol of the preservation of Spanish culture in California
“Monstra te esse Matrem” - Be to us a Mother