Winter 2018 Undergraduate International Student Welcome
Campus Map: scu.edu/map
ISW Information: scu.edu/isw
New Student Orientation: scu.edu/orientation
Transfer Orientation: scu.edu/orientation/sessions/transfer/
Welcome Weekend: scu.edu/welcomeweekend
Information and Tips For Global Students and Families
If you have been issued an F-1 I-20 or J-1 DS-2019 you are required to attend ISW.
If you are a U.S. citizen or green card holder that went to high school abroad ("Global Nomad"), you are not required to attend ISW, but your participation is requested and highly recommended.
Less than 1 hour of ISW is spent talking about immigration rules (during this session Global Nomads will meet with student leaders who have also lived abooad before coming to SCU). The day is designed to be fun and infomative for all global broncos, regardless of immigration status -- plus attending ISW means you get to move-in early!
Everyone should bring:
- A government issued photo ID (passport)
- A pen or pencil and notepad
- A reusable water bottle
- Seasonal accessories such as sunscreen or a hat (May to September) or umbrella or rain coat (October to April)
If you hold F-1 or J-1 immigration status and have not completed immigration check-in, you must bring your immigration check-in documents and information:
- eCampus login information
- Home country address and phone number
- U.S. address where you will be living
- U.S. phone number (if you have one)
- Emergency contact's name and phone number
- SCU Student ID number (on your Access card)
- SEVIS ID number (on page 1 of your I-20. Begins with “N00”)
- Copy of F-1 or J-1 visa stamp
- Print out of I-94 Entry Record (select “Get Most Recent I-94", you cannot print this until after you enter the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 status)
Students who have been issued J-1 DS-2019s: bring the above documents and a copy of page 1 of your DS-2019, as well as proof that you purchased the required J-1 insurance plan.
Students who have filed a Change of Status: instead of the F-1 visa stamp and I-94 Entry Record, please bring a copy of your I-797A, Approval Notice. You won’t check-in until your change of status to F-1 has been approved and you have received your I-797A.
Be sure to bring printouts and copies of your own documents. We won’t be able to print or copy documents for you.
You should wear casual clothing that you would find comfortable while walking and spending time outside. While we will mainly be indoors, there may be parts of ISW, including optional campus tours that take place outside, weather permitting.
You can check out the weather forecast for Santa Clara to help you prepare.
Enter the main campus entrance (500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara California) and stop at the gate. Let the Campus Safety Officer know that you are visiting campus for International Student Welcome (ISW). You will be provided a complimentary parking pass and instructions.
- F-1 Students: Are required to purchase and are automatically enrolled in the university's student health insurance plan. More information can be found here: https://www.scu.edu/cowell/insurance/f1students/
- J-1 Exhcnage Students: Are required to purchase a specific short term insurance plan. More information can be found here: https://www.scu.edu/globalengagement/international-students/non-degree-international-students/health-insurance-for-j-1-visas/
- Global Nomad (U.S. citizens and green card holders coming from abroad): Are not required to enroll in the university health insurance, but if you will not be covered by a comprehensive, U.S.-based health insurance plan, you should plan to use the university's student health insurance plan. More information can be found here: https://www.scu.edu/cowell/insurance/undergraduate-students/
The Bursar's Office is responeible for tuition and bill payment. https://www.scu.edu/bursar/
Tuition, fees, insurance charges will be posted to each Student's eCampus account. For incoming students the first bill will not populate into eCampus until school starts. The first billing will be due on October 21, 2017.
Information on payment deadlines: https://www.scu.edu/bursar/bill/
Information on payment methods: https://www.scu.edu/bursar/paymentoptions/
General information for international students: https://www.scu.edu/onestop/currentstudents/internationalstudents/
Once you've selected your classes for the Fall (which will happen on Day 2 of new student orientation) you will be able to access the text book and course materials lists online here: http://scu.bncollege.com
The ISW Leaders will be able to provide you with more information about the best ways for students to buy / rent text books, but generally, you can buy or rent the books / materials from the SCU bookstore (which will be open all week and weekend) or you can buy / rent them online.
For info on what to carry on the plane for arrival in the U.S. and immigration: scu.edu/issarrival
For info on what you need in your RLC / dorm room can be found under "what should I bring?" here: https://www.scu.edu/living/how-do-i/prepare-for-move-in/
RCL / dorms are furnished with bed, desk, chair and closet for each student. If you are living in a suite, you may have a kitchen.
Information on what is included in your RLC can be found here: https://www.scu.edu/living/residential-living-options/rlc-undergraduate-housing/
You will need to bring or purchase bed linens (size XL twin), towels, toiletries, clothing, electronics (computer), decorations and personal items. Many students will email or chat with their roommate or suite-mates about whether they will rent, or share appliances (TV, refrigerator etc).
Many international students arrive in the U.S. with clothing and personal belongings and then purchase or order bedding, dorm supplies and school supplies when they arrive. In terms of technology (computers, phones etc) ISW Student Leaders can provide you with tips. A lot of international students order items online (via amazon or U.S. retailers like Target or Bed Bath & Beyond) and have the items delivered directly to SCU (as long as the delivery is after September 4, 2017) so that they don't have to worry about carrying the items on the airplane. Our student leaders can also help you with shopping when you arrive.
Student's NameSCU - XXXX*500 El Camino RealSanta Clara, CA 95053
If you arrive at SCU before your ISW, you can:
- Get your access card
- Walk around our academic program
- Visit your beautiful campus
- Gather your immigration check-in documents
- Attend an early immigration check-in session
You are not required to visit our office upon your arrival on campus. We look forward to seeing you at ISW!
Please be aware of campus closures for holidays.
Check out our ISW FAQs. If you still have questions, feel free to email ISS@scu.edu