Skip to main content

Eligibility Requirements

Students must be admitted to degree status at the University. Students from all majors are eligible to apply to study off-campus and students from the sciences and other underrepresented disciplines, in particular, are encouraged to apply. Students must have completed a minimum of 88 quarter units by the start of the academic program abroad. Normally, students study off-campus during either junior or senior year. Sophomores with extenuating academic circumstances may request an exception to the eligibility policy. Students must declare their major with the Office of the Registrar prior to submitting their application to Study Abroad. There is a Santa Clara GPA requirement of 2.75 to apply for off-campus study; the GPA requirement for individual programs may be higher. Students are expected to meet or exceed Santa Clara's requirements and that of their proposed program. The selection process may be competitive and minimally qualified students may not be approved. Priority admission may be given to applicants for Santa Clara's own programs, including exchanges. As stated in the Santa Clara University Student Handbook "if the student is on disciplinary probation, interim suspension, deferred suspension, suspended, or expelled, the student is not eligible to apply to study abroad or participate in the program."

The study abroad application process is a two-step process and participation is contingent upon approval by the individual program, as well as the Santa Clara’s Study Abroad Office. In addition, participation is contingent upon satisfactory completion of all program prerequisites and related courses, as well as satisfactory academic progress toward the student's major. Students who earn a grade of D or F in any course in the term preceding their program may become ineligible for off-campus study. Students must clear any outstanding balances with the Bursar’s Office in accordance with the Bursar’s Office payment schedule to remain eligible for participation. The University does not approve study in countries for which the US Department of State (DOS) has declared a Travel Warning. Matriculated students who study abroad while withdrawn from the University may be eligible to receive a maximum of ten units of transfer credit toward the graduation requirement and no credit toward their major, minor or Core; students must receive approval through the on-campus application process to receive full major, minor or Core credit for study abroad.