Santa Clara University offers comprehensive health care and insurance benefits designed to promote and sustain good health for you and your family, help cushion financial obligations associated with illness or death, and assist in building a retirement income.
This summary provides a high-level overview of many of the key benefits valued by SCU faculty.
Refer to your Handbook for more information.
Retirement Plans Portal
Access the portal to enroll in or make changes to your 403b contributions and select investment provider for your 401a and/or 403b plans.
Information on how to access the SCU Retirement Plan Portal is found in the Plan Enhancements Guide.
The Retirement Enhancement Guide provides details about the new Retirement Plans Portal and the new services and features.
Benefits Information and Guides
Retirement Plan Changes
Retirement plans now include a self-directed brokerage account option and a reduction of the core number of investments plan platforms.
Benefit Notices & Information
- 401a SPD
- 403b SPD
- Fee Disclosure Notice 2016
- Retirement Plan Enhancement Guide
- How to Guide: Online Account Access and Management
- Retirement Plan Portal
California Voluntary Disability
- 2017 SCU - CVP Employee Memorandum
- 2017 SCU - CVP Plan Document
- 2019 SCU - CVP Statement of Coverage
- CBIZ FSA Information
- CBIZ Consumer Portal QuickStart Guide
- CBIZ Dependent Care Account Information
- CBIZ SCU Transit Plan Election and Change Form
- CBIZ Transit FSA Overview
- CBIZ FSA How to File a Claim
- CBIZ FSA Claim Form
- CBIZ Medical Flexible Spending Account FAQ's
- CBIZ Take Care Debit Card
- CBIZ Take Care Debit Card FAQ's
- Blue Shield Access+ Evidence of Coverage
- Blue Shield PPO Evidence of Coverage
- Blue Shield Trio HMO Evidence of Coverage
- Blue Shield Summary of Benefits HMO Trio
- Blue Shield Summary of Benefits HMO Trio Spanish
- Blue Shield Summary of Benefits Custom Access+HMO
- Blue Shield Summary of Benefits Custom Access+ HMO Spanish
- Blue Shield Summary of Benefits PPO
- Blue Shield Summary of Benefits PPO Spanish
- Blue Shield How to find a Doctor Steps
- Blue Shield Comparison HMO Networks BA & Central CA Counties
- Blue Shield RX 90-Day Transition Program
- Blue Shield Away from Home Brochure
- Blue Shield Away From Home Care Map
- Blue Shield Away from Home Care Application
- Blue Shield Continuity of Care Program
- Blue Shield Continuity of Care Application
Health Equity (HSA)
ACA, IRS Form 1095-C
Benefit Enrollment Notices
SCU offers its employees multiple leave options.
The University provides leaves of absence to enable employees to attend to personal and professional obligations, and for periods of disability. All requests for leaves should be initiated in Workday which will be submitted to the Department of Human Resources for processing and approval. Managers should direct any employee requests for leave to Benefits in the Department of Human Resources.
Need to File an FMLA/ PFL / STD / LTD Claim?
In an effort to improve the processing time and simplify the claims experience for employees, Santa Clara University has contracted with Matrix Absence Management (Matrix), a division of Reliance Standard Life Insurance Company, to administer the Short Term Disability (STD)/Paid Family Leave, Long Term Disability (LTD) and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) programs.
Read the Matrix Leave of Absence Brochure.
- Requesting a Leave of Absence in Workday
- Family Rights & Responsibilities under the Family and Medical Leave Act - revised 2/2013(PDF 260KB)
- Faculty Paternal Leave Timeline
- Faculty Maternity Leave Timeline
- Leave of Absence Guide and Forms
Refer the employee to Benefits in the Department of Human Resources. Notify the Benefits office of the request. Provide the name of the employee and the nature of the request.
Employees can coordinate lactaction accommodations directly with their supervisor and any questions can be directed to Indu Ahluwalia.
Requirements for Lactation Accommodation
Provide Break Time to Express Breastmilk.
- Managers are required to provide a reasonable amount of break time to accommodate an employee desiring to express breastmilk for the employee's infant child. If possible, the break time should coincide with the employee's paid break time. If not, the break time need not be paid.
Provide the Employee with the Use of a Room to Express Breastmilk.
- The manager and employee should work together to identify a room or other location for the employee to express breastmilk if the employee does not have their own office. This space should be private and in relatively close proximity to the employee's work area. This space cannot be a toilet stall.
Examples of workplace spaces used for expressing breastmilk:
- An employee's own office.
- A vacant room which can be arranged to be used by lactating employee during specific times of the day.
- Private Wellness Room (see University map below).
- A conference room they can reserve.
A room can be made private by having a lock on the door, placing a message on the door that the room is in use, drawing blinds or curtains, covering curtainless windows, or setting up a portable partition.
The following items would be helpful to have in the space, but not required.
- A clean, safe water source, sink, disinfectant dish soap, and paper towels nearby for washing hands and breast pump equipment.
- A refrigerator or ice chest to keep breastmilk from spoiling.
- A room with an electrical outlet for employees who use an electric breast pump to express milk.
- A comfortable chair to sit in while expressing milk.
- A small table for pumping supplies.
Any questions regarding these requirements can be addressed to Indu Ahluwalia, Sr. Leave Specialist at x5750 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SCU provides wellness rooms throughout the university campus in various locations. These wellness rooms can be used as Lactation rooms on campus. Please see the attached University map for the current locations and future locations that SCU plans to add to enhance the overall program. Employees can coordinate lactaction accommodations directly with their supervisor.