Student employees are a crucial part of the Santa Clara University workforce. Without a dedicated and dependable group of student employees, the University’s academic departments and administrative offices would be unable to provide the wide variety of programs and services to the SCU community.
Over 3,000 students work on campus in positions as varied as student assistants, community facilitators, research assistants, intramural supervisors, teaching assistants, immersion coordinators, orientation leaders, spirituality facilitators and game assistants. Collectively student employees earn over $6M each year which helps support their cost of a Santa Clara education.
Students gain so much more than wages when they work on campus. They also learn first-hand about the world of work, gain valuable experience, acquire practical skills that will assist them once they leave SCU, develop time management skills, increase self-confidence, gather insights on the type of career that interests them, learn how the University works, and better understand what career opportunities are available in higher education.
Please consider a student employment position at Santa Clara University and Go Broncos!
New hire student employees must complete all of the following forms:
- I-9 Instructions (form must be completed on-line)
- W-4 (Tax Withholding)
- Student Employment Agreement
- 8233 (for non-residents only)
Additional forms used for student employees:
The process of hiring a student employee consists of three general steps:
Step 1: Job Posting
- Post job for a minimum of two (2) business days.
To post a student assistant job go to Post Student Jobs or view the job postings page.
Step 2: Recruitment
- Review Resumes and conduct interview
It is highly recommended to conduct in-person interviews. For a list of sample interview questions, refer to Sample Interview Questions.
Step 3: Paperwork Process
- Complete and submit a Student Employment Action Request form (SEAR Form)
SEAR form must be submitted via email to email@example.com
- New Hire students must complete all the required new hire paperwork prior to starting work
- Student who have previously worked at SCU or are already employed are eligible to work once the SEAR form is received by Student Employment Office
For additional information on student employment related guidelines and policies, please refer to the Student Employment Policy and Procedures Manual .
The process of obtaining student employment consists of three general steps:
Step 1: Job Search
- Login to Handshake
- Search for Jobs
- Submit your resume and cover letter (For assistance on your resume and cover letter, please visit the Career Center)
Step 2: Interview Process
- If you are a selected candidate for an interview, you may visit the Career Center for assistance on your interviewing skills
Step 3: Working as a Student/On-Boarding Process
- The Student Employment Office will contact you via email to come in and complete your new hire paperwork (Under Student Employment Forms tab above) ONLY if you have not worked on-campus or it has been more than a year since your last job.
- You are not eligible to work until this step is completed.
- Once paperwork is submitted it takes up to 1-2 weeks to process.
- International Students please view our international students information page for additional information to complete your new hire paperwork