San Jose, California
Monday, March 26 - Friday, March 30, 2018
Santa Clara students will spend five days volunteering and learning first hand about poverty and homelessness in downtown San Jose, just beyond SCU’s campus. In partnership with Sacred Heart Community Service, an organization that prepares and distributes food to over 20,000 people every month, the SCU delegation will volunteer at a food pantry and clothing store for those in need. The trip will promote a vivid awareness of poverty through a tour of downtown and visits to a variety of community agencies. Participants will reflect on these experiences in the context of their education at SCU, and the group will have the chance to hear from community organizers and other local leaders who actively work for equality and justice in our nearby community. Other organizations the group will engage with include Recovery Cafe, First Presbyterian Church, and the Jesuit Volunteer Corps.
- The application for Winter Break 2017 trips is closed.
- The application for Spring Break 2018 trips is closed.
- Applications for Summer 2018 trips are due Febuary 28th at 3pm.
- The application for the Class of 2022 Summer San Jose Immersion will open in July 2018.
- The application for the Jean Donovan Fellowship can be found here.
Selected participants will be expected to attend 4–5 pre-trip meetings and a pre-trip weekend retreat, as well as 3 post-trip meetings upon return.