Anh Q. Tran, S.J., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Historical and Systematic Theology
B.S.E.E., M.S.E.E., Santa Clara University
M.A. in Healthcare Ethics, M.P.S., Loyola University of Chicago
About the Professor
As Associate Professor of Historical and Systematic Theology at JST, Professor Tran teaches core courses in systematic theology and interreligious studies. His teaching interests include ecclesiology, missiology, theology of religions, interreligious dialogue between Christianity and East Asian religions, theological anthropology, comparative theology, Asian theologies and Christianities, Jesuit mission in East Asia and healthcare ethics. Professor Tran's research interests involve ecumenism, intercultural dialogue, comparative religion/theology, Asian theology and Christian missions in Asia.
Cross-trained in various fields from electrical engineering to medical ethics to theology, Professor Tran enjoys "being a bridge for students and colleagues from various academic fields, cultures, institutions and religions."
More information about Professor Tran is available in a December 2013 article featured on NJN's "Jesuits at Frontiers": Father Anh Tran, SJ: Interreligious Dialogue and the Search for Mutual Understanding.
Courses Recently Offered
STHS 4170: Asian Christianities: History and Theology
ST 4184: Cross-cultural Christologies
HR 4175: Asian/Oceanic Cultural and Faith Traditions (with Moses Penumaka, Th.D.)
RSST 3710: Mission, Church and Culture
ST 2315: God in Christian Tradition
ST 2458: Introducing Ecclesiology (formerly ST 2454: The Community Called Church)
ST 2645: Theological Anthropology
STRS 4215: Nepal Theological Immersion
STRS 4217: Indonesia Theological Immersion (with Marianne Farina, C.S.C. and Robert McChesney, S.J.)
- “When Christian Devotion Meets Confucian Piety: The Doctrine of Three Fatherhood as Theological Accommodation in Pre-modern Vietnam” in Confucian & Catholicism: Reinvigorating the Dialogue, ed. Michael Slater, Erin Cline, and P.J. Ivanhoe (Notre Dame University Press, forthcoming)
- “Experience Seeking Faith: From Theology of Religions to Interreligious Theology,” in Christian Mission, Contextual Theology, Prophetic Dialogue: Essays in Honor of Stephen B. Bevans, ed. Dave Irvin and Peter Phan (Orbis Books, November 2018)
- The Historiography of the Jesuits in Vietnam: 1615-1773 and 1957-2007, " in Jesuit Hitoriography Online (BrillOnline Reference Works, October 2018)
- “A Church of Mercy and Hope: Pope Francis and the New Evangelization” in Pope Francis and the Event of Encounter, ed. John Cavadini and Donald Wallenfang (Pickwick, 2018), 1-16.
- Gods, Heroes, and Ancestors: An Interreligious Encounter in Eighteenth-Century Vietnam, Oxford University Press, 2017.
- With Jonathan Tan, World Christianity: Perspectives and Insights, Orbis, 2016.
- “Jesus Beyond the West: Christological Conversations in World Christianity” in Jonathan Y. Tan and Anh Q Tran, eds., World Christianity: Perspectives and Insights (Orbis Books, 2016), 182-203.
- "Jesuit Contribution to Vietnamese Education: Past and Present" in Education For New Times: Revisiting Pedagogical Models In The Jesuit Tradition, Ricci Institute, 2014.
- "Inculturation, Mission, and Dialogue in Vietnam: The Conference of Representatives of Four Religions" in Beyond Conversion and Syncretism: Indigenous Encounters with Missionary Christianity, 1800-2000, Berghahn Books, 2012.