Senior Lecturer Emeritus in Spirituality
B.A., University of Notre Dame;
About the Professor
"What a privilege to serve at this School! Our students come from all walks of life, from various age groups, and from many cultures. They bring rich experiences of life and ministry to the classroom and the school community. Through my service as a teacher, I seek to support the school's mission of integrating faith and culture, and exploring a faith that does justice, of exploring the frontier of theology."
A native of northern Ohio, Dr. Lescher began his career as a high school English teacher before pursuing graduate study and doctoral work in American Catholic spirituality. He taught in Cleveland, Seattle, Austin (Texas), and Chicago.
Dr. Lescher came to JST in 1998 as a teacher and administrator, arriving from the Catholic Theological Union in Chicago. At JST, Dr. Lescher teaches courses in Christian Spirituality, such as Transition and Transformation, a seminar on Thomas Merton, and an introduction to spirituality as an academic discipline for doctoral students.
He is married to Clare Ronzani, M.A. Bruce and Clare sometimes present workshops together and both are also involved in the ministry of spiritual direction.
He is a member of the Society for the Study of Christian Spirituality and the Catholic Theological Society of America. Dr. Lescher has published several articles both in his field of specialization, American Catholic spirituality, and more broadly on issues of spiritual formation.
Courses Recently Offered
MTS 3000: M.T.S. Proseminar
SP 2175: Transition and Transformation
SP 2503: Thomas Merton
SP 2602: Introduction to Ignatian Spirituality
SP 5090: Doctoral Seminar: Christian Spirituality
Dr. Lescher has published several articles both in his field of specialization, American Catholic spirituality, and more broadly on issues of spiritual formation. Recent articles include:
- “Spirituality in the English-Speaking World Since Vatican II: An Overview,” Mysterion 8 (2015): 140-152.
- "Spiritual Direction in the Roman Catholic Tradition,” in John R. Mabry, ed., Spiritual Guidance Across Religions (Woodstock, VT: Skylights Paths Publishing, 2014), 262-274.
- Thomas Merton (1915-1968): New Seeds of Contemplation. in Christian Spirituality: The Classics, ed. Arthur Holder, Routledge, 2010
- Exploring Christian Spirituality: Essays in Honor of Sandra M. Schneiders, co-edited with Elizabeth Liebert, S.N.J.M., Paulist Press, 2006
- Diaknonia and the Diaconate, The New Westminster Dictionary of Christian Spirituality, SCM Press, 2005
- American Catholic Spirituality, The Encyclopedia of American Catholic History
- Catholicism and Postmodernity: Faithing Our Practice, The Way, 2001
- Spiritual Direction: Stalking the Boundaries, Handbook of Spirituality for Ministers, Vol. 2, Paulist Press, 2000