Professor of Social Ethics
B.A. Political Science, Yale University, 1987
M.T.S. Harvard Divinity School, 1991
Ph.D. Religion and Social Ethics, University of Southern California, 1995
About the Professor
Julie Rubio joined the faculty at JST after 19 years in the Department of Theological Studies at St. Louis University where she was Professor of Christian Ethics with a secondary appointment in Women's and Gender Studies. Her research brings the resources of social ethics to issues of sex, gender, marriage, and family. She has published four books and one edited volume. Her many essays have appeared in Theological Studies, Horizons, the Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics, and the Journal of Political Theology. She is a board member of the Catholic Theological Society of America, Horizons, the Journal of Catholic Social Thought, and National Catholic Reporter, She speaks in a wide variety of public forums and writes for popular venues such as America magazine, the blog CatholicMoralTheology.com, the Washington Post, and US Catholic. Her current book project is titled Catholicism, Gender, and the Family.
- Reading, Praying, Living Pope Francis’s The Joy of Love, Liturgical Press, 2017
- Hope for Common Ground: Mediating the Personal and the Political in a Divided Church, Georgetown
University Press, 2016
- Family Ethics: Practices for Christians, Georgetown University Press, 2010
- "Cooperation with Evil Reconsidered: The Moral Duty of Resistance," Theological Studies78.1, 2017, 96-120.
- “The Reach and Limits of the Francis Effect,” A Response to James Bretzke,” Horizons42.2, 2015, 403-408.
- “Family Ties: A Catholic Response to Donor-Conceived Families,” Journal of Christian Bioethics 21.2, 2015, 181-98.
- “Animals, Evil, and Family Meals,” Journal of Catholic Moral Theology3.2, 2014, 17-36.
- “Practicing Faith in Public Life:Beginning with the Local,” Journal of Political Theology14.6, 2013, 772-85.
- “Family Ethics: Beyond Sex and Controversy,” Notes on Moral Theology, Theological Studies74:1, 2013, 138-61.
- “Historical Models: An Interview with John W. Padberg, SJ,” Conversations on Jesuit Higher Education 52, 2017, 38-39.
- “Arguing with Dorothy Day,” National Catholic Reporter, Jan. 16, 2017.
- “Ordinary Families, Holy Families: Looking to the Bible for New Models of Mercy,” America, June 20-27, 2016.
- “The Joy of Love and the Pope of Justice,” Political Theology, April 22, 2016.
- “Internal Forum: A Common Ground Solution for the Divorced and Remarried,” Catholic Moral Theology.com, Oct. 22, 2015.
- “Five Years of Francis’s Papacy: Prospects for Peace, the Poor, and the Environment,” University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN, April 3, 2018.
- "Dare We Hope for Common Ground?" Deitchmann Family Lecture on Religion and Modernity, McFarland Center, College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA, Oct. 4, 2017.
- “The Novelty of Amoris Laetita for Priests and Laity,” Amoris Laetitia: A New Momentum for Moral Formation and Pastoral Practice," Boston College, Boston, MA, Oct. 5, 2017.
- “Justice in the Home: Cultivating Practices of Love and Solidarity," public lecture, John Carroll University, Oct. 27, 2015.