JST students are eligible for medical benefits offered to graduate students at Santa Clara University, with coverage provided by UnitedHealthcare.
International students on the F-1 Visa must enroll in the SCU student health insurance plan. Full requirements for F-1 students can be found here. You will also find a video there on “Understanding the US Healthcare System.”
To find doctors that accept the UnitedHealthcare insurance that SCU provides, please go to https://www.gallagherstudent.com/scu, and click on Find a Doctor under My Student Health Insurance plan. To find mental health providers under the plan, follow the above directions. Then scroll down and click on the next Search for Provider button that will allow you to search for mental health providers in the network.
You can create a login to your health insurance account to view claims, benefits and other useful information at https://www.uhcsr.com/.
If you are looking for a sliding scale dental clinic in Berkeley, see LifeLong Dental Care.
UC Berkeley's Meredith W. Morgan University Eye Center, staffed by students in the School of Optometry, offers low cost services for those without vision insurance.
For assistance with locating mental health resources, please contact the Assistant Dean of Students, Paul Kircher, at firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 510-549-5029. Paul is in office 105 on the ground floor of JST. The following is a partial listing of mental health resources:
- SCU Cowell Center: All JST students are eligible for mental health care at the SCU Cowell Center, which offers a full range of psychological services including psychiatry, medication management, individual therapy, and group therapy.
- Health Insurance Coverage: JST students who are enrolled on the SCU student health insurance with UnitedHealthcare have coverage for mental health. To find mental health providers under the plan, go to https://www.gallagherstudent.com/scu, and click “Find a Doctor” under “My Student Health Insurance Plan”. Then scroll down and click on the second “Search for Provider” button that will allow you to search for mental health providers in the network.
Students who are not enrolled in the SCU student health insurance plan may check with their insurance provider to see if they offer mental health coverage.
- Listing of mental health providers: For a listing of mental health providers in the East Bay, contact the Assistant Dean of Students, Paul Kircher, email@example.com.
- Mental Health Agencies and Centers: For a listing of sliding scale/low fee mental health agencies in the San Francisco Bay Area, click Sliding Scale Centers. Paul Kircher can assist in identifying the agency best suited to your needs and your geographical location.
- Online resources: The SCU Cowell Center offers various online resources for mental wellness.
- SCU Wellness Center: The SCU Wellness Center has as its main focus risk reduction and early intervention related to alcohol and drug use, the prevention of gender based violence, and the promotion of student well-being through education, prevention, and outreach services. Check their website for more information and for online mental health resources.
Our GTU membership gives access to the Cal Rec Club which offers many programs for a discounted semester fee. If you are in Santa Clara, your ACCESS card gives you access to many programs through the Campus Recreation office.
Don't forget the Downtown Berkeley YMCA which combines a state-of-the art health and wellness YMCA facility with an historic and friendly environment, located at 2001 Allston Way. GTU students just need to bring their student ID card to the Y to receive a discounted membership, a set rate of $39 per month with no enrollment fee, and no contracts. This rate will be good for two years at a time and can be renewed as long as a student remains enrolled at GTU.
Yoga to the People offers donation-based yoga classes with a mission of making yoga available to everyone. It is located on Shattuck Square between University and Addison. All classes are a $10 suggested donation, but you can contribute as you are able. Sunday nights are candle-lit. Check their website for schedules and more information.