We invite ordained, vowed religious, and non-ordained (lay) ministers, who are depleted or in-transition, and other faith-based care providers, change-makers, teachers, and leaders seeking theological updating and spiritual renewal to join us for our Renewal Program. The Renewal Program provides a holistic, sabbatical experience of contemplative rest, theological renewal, and spiritual transformation, available in-person or online for one or two semesters. Sabbatical participants at JST join a dynamic community rooted in the Ignatian tradition that is committed to academic excellence in the vibrant location of Berkeley, California.
Fall: Mid-August – Mid-December
Spring: Mid-January – Mid-May
Basic program cost: $7,000/semester
Non-degree unit cost: $838/unit
Need- and merit-based scholarships available after completing the application.
Our program includes:
- A curated, holistic sabbatical experience of weekly workshops, community-building, and opportunities for prayer, especially designed for renewal in mind, body, and spirit.
- Up to six units of one-to-three unit graduate theology courses, for audit or for credit, for professional and ministerial development and theological updating.
- An opening and closing retreat.
- Ongoing spiritual direction with one of our vetted directors (every two to three weeks, throughout the semester).
- Access to a treasure trove of resources through the Graduate Theological Union (GTU) and Santa Clara University (SCU) libraries.
- Welcome and participation in the larger JST-SCU and GTU community offerings.
- Additional resources (e.g., for Wellness, Ignatian Spirituality, etc.)
For those who do not have the resources for a full sabbatical experience, we also offer the following option:
An audit-only, asynchronous course for renewal in mind, body, and spirit, with opportunities for real-time and in-person interaction
This asynchronous, curated, holistic sabbatical experience offers weekly workshops, with opportunities for discussion, community-building, reflection and prayer, for ordained, vowed religious, and non-ordained ministers, who are depleted or in transition, and other faith-based care providers, change-makers, educators, and leaders seeking personal and professional development, theological updating, and spiritual renewal. This course can be taken for one or or two semesters. The one-unit option includes five sessions and the three-unit option is for a semester-long experience that includes a closing self-paced retreat.
Fall: “New Wine, New Wineskins: Sabbath and Sabbatical”
Spring: “Global Church/Planetary People”
Contact Carrie Rehak at firstname.lastname@example.org for session dates. To apply for the course, you do not need to apply for the Renewal program.
Watch this 3-minute video testimonial of a recent online Renewal Program participant.