The front facade of Mission Santa Clara, student chapel of Santa Clara University.
At 140 years old, the wisteria continues to bloom every spring.
The Wisteria Arbor is 140 years old, and continues to permeate the campus with its fragrant scent every spring.
This statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus covers the old Mission water well.
Here's a closer view of the Sacred Heart of Jesus statue.
The Adobe Wall is a remnant of the 1822 Mission quadrangle, and is part of the oldest structure remaining on our campus, the Adobe Lodge.
Whether on your way to class or just visiting for the day, our Mission Gardens are an attraction to all who pass through.
This is the entrance to the Rose Garden Cemetery. The cemetery is closed to the public and a memorialized area for those still buried on our grounds.
The Rose Garden Cemetery Gates.
These walls memorialize those still buried on our grounds, however, the original cemetery area extended far beyond what you see today.
This overlook is actually comprised of the porch entrance to the old student chapel that was burned down in the fire of 1926. These steps are all that remain, and today give a nice view into the Rose Garden Cemetery.
This is a life-sized statue of Junipero Serra that sits adjacent to the Rose Garden Cemetery.
The Mission's sanctuary and high altar
The sanctuary's beautifully detailed arch and ceiling
The painting to the right of the high altar reredos was created by Candelario Rivas in 1931 and depicts St. Anthony embracing Christ on the cross.
To the left of the high altar reredos is a painting created by Candelario Rivas in 1931 depicting St. Francis of Assisi.
The nave of the Mission Church, with it's 6 side chapels, 3 chandeliers, and 150 foot long aisle.
Our Lady of Guadalue Side Chapel Statues of St. Anne and St. Joachim (Mary's parents) flank the lower level, while 2 portraints of Mary, mother of God, grace the center. The smaller portrait located above the larger is a remnant of the 1926 fire that destroyed the previous Mission.
Catala Crucifix Chapel Within this chapel is a large crucifix in front of which Padre Magin Catala prayed. It is a historic item that students were able to save from the 1926 fire.
St. Ignatius Side Chapel Prominently displayed in this chapel is a portrat of St. Ignatius, paintd by Fr. Dan Sullivan.
Here's a closer look at the painting of St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuit Order.
St. Francis Side Chapel A Mission era statue of St. Francis of Assisi (center), is displayed along with St. Collette and St. Francis of Solano. The latter two statues were saved by students from the 1926 fire. The altar also houses a relic of St. Juniperro Serra, founder of the 21 Alta California Missions.
The Holy Family This impressive paitning was done by Riva Giuseppe Bergamo in 1889 and portrays the holy family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph juxtaposed with God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. It originially graced the high altar of the adjacent student chapel but was pulled from the 1926 fire before the building was destroyed.