Academic Year Adjunct Lecturer
Christina Soto van der Plas received her Ph.D. in Spanish Literature in the Department of Romance Studies at Cornell University in August of 2016. She has published several articles and essays on Latin American literature in national and international journals. Her non-fiction book, Curaçao, costa de cemento pueblo de prisión (FETA, 2019) won the National Prize for Young Chronicle in Mexico. She has translated three books by Alenka Zupancic into Spanish and writes pieces regularly for Magazines and websites in Mexico such as Tierra Adentro. She is also a student of counseling psychology and is interested in psychoanalysis and philosophy.
- Latin American literature (emphasis on Mexico)
- Creative writing
- Critical theory
- Spanish 1 - Introduction to Spanish & Spanish-Speaking Cultures I
- Spanish 2 - Introduction to Spanish & Spanish-Speaking Cultures II
- Spanish 3 - Introduction to Spanish & Spanish-Speaking Cultures III
- Spanish 101 - Introduction to Literature and Film Analysis
- Spanish 108 - Spanish for Spanish Speakers
- Spanish 107 - Writing Workshop
- Curaçao, costa de cemento, pueblo de prisión. México: Fondo Editorial Tierra Adentro, 2019. Premio Nacional de Crónica Joven Ricardo Garibay 2019.
- "How to Read Short-Stories like and Underdog" Public Books, 2020.
- “Prácticas del pensar literario a la intemperie” in Lazos. Desgarraduras y vínculos en el arte y la cultura latinoamericanos. Luz Rodríguez Carranza y Mario Cámara, eds. Córdoba: Eduvim, 2019.
- Review of Lispector, Clarice. The Chandelier in “Un-Reading Clarice Lispector’s The Chandelier”. Los Angeles Review of Books [March 2018]
- “Beginnings of José Emilio Pacheco” in Ignacio Sánchez Prado, ed. Mexican Literature in Theory. Bloomsbury, 2018.
- “El proyecto de un sujeto entre lo sagrado y lo profano en La novela luminosa de Mario Levrero” in Marta Waldegaray, ed. Configuraciones de lo sagrado en la literatura contemporánea del Cono Sur. Revista Iberoamericana vol. LXXXIV, no. 263, June 2018. https://doi.org/10.5195/reviberoamer.2018.7607