Lucia T. Varona
Lucia Varona was born and raised among the Kekchi Indians in Guatemala. Her life has been characterized by multiculturalism. Graduated from Landivar University in Guatemala City, in 1986 with a Major in Education and a Minor in Psychology. Earned a Master’s degree from the University of Kansas, Lawrence, Ks. In 1989. Moved to California in 1991 and earned a D.Ed from the University of San Franisco, San Francisco, California in 1996. Majoring in International Multicultural Education with a Minor in Second Language Acquisition. Started teaching at Santa Clara University in 1991. Her passion is Community Based Learning, and teaching Spanish language and cultures.
- Intermediate Spanish I
- Intermediate Spanish II
- Intermediate Spanish III
- Advanced Spanish Conversation
- Latin American Cultures and Civilizations
- Spanish for Spanish Speakers
- Community based learning in Spanish classes.
- Motivation of Spanish students.
- Relationship between perceptions, beliefs and acquisition of Spanish
- Social Justice the role it plays in Spanish classes.
- Pellttieri, Jill; Varona, Lucia T. "Refocusing the goals of second language education with community-based learning." ISSN: 1096-1453, Volume 12, Issue 3, Fall 2008
- Varona, Lucia. On-line Instructor's Resource Manual (IRM) for,/The Service-Learning Companion/(Houghton-Mifflin, 2007)
- Varona, Lucia. “Teaching to Learn” , The Internacional Journal of Learning. Vol 12 # 9. http//www.learningjournal.com ISBN 1447-9494 (print) 1447-9540 (online)
- Varona, Lucia; Henshaw, Florencia Rumbos Activity File. Thompson Heile. United States
- Varona Lucia. 2006 Manual to do Community Based Learning. Prentice Hall.
- Brunsman, Barry, O.F.M., El árbol de Navidad; su origen y significado. Translated by Lucia T. Varona. St. Francis Ministries. P.O. Box 876, San Juan Bautista, CA 95045
Varona, Lucia T. Faculty Notes, Sample Faculty Syllabi in "The Pedro Arrupe, S.J. Center for Community-Based Learning Faculty Resources Handbook. Santa Clara University, 2004. 36-37;69-73
Varona Lucia T. and Bauluz, Maria V. "When Everyday Life Becomes the Focus of Attention in Intermediate Spanish Courses.
In Faculty Notes, Sample Faculty Syllabi in "The Pedro Arrupe, S.J. Center for Community-Based Learning Faculty Resources Handbook. Santa Clara University, 2004. 111-119
Hellebrandt, Josef, Arries, Jonathan, and Varona, Lucia T. Eds. Juntos:Community Partnerships in Spanish and Portuguese. Boston, Massachusetts: Thomson, Heinle. 2004. American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese, Professional Development Series Handbook. Series Ed. Klein, Carol vol. 5 69-82.
Varona, Lucia T. “Language and Culture through Anecdotal Discourse” Forum Spring 2000
Hellebrandt, Josef, and Varona, Lucia T. Eds. Construyendo Puentes (Building Bridges); Concepts and Models for Service-Learning in Spanish. Washington: American Association for Higher Education, 1999. Series on Service-Learning in the Disciplines. Series Ed. Edward Zlotkowski. 18 vols. 1997-99.
Varona, Lucia T. “From Instrumental, to Interactive, to Critical Knowledge through Service-Learning in Spanish. Hellebrandt, Josef, and Varona, Lucia T. Eds. Construyendo Puentes (Building Bridges); Concepts and Models for Service-Learning in Spanish. Washington: American Association for Higher Education, 1999. Series on Service-Learning in the Disciplines. 18 vols. 1997-99.