Dear Future On-Campus Resident Students,
Thank you for your thoughtful questions and responses to last week’s disappointing news that our winter 2021 move-in date has been delayed. I write today to provide more clarity on next steps, and to answer questions related to the timeline we hope to follow for a winter 2021 move-in. (Because we know this is a family issue, please forward every housing update e-mail to your parents!)
First and foremost, we want to convey that we remain committed to having students live on campus for winter 2021, as soon as health conditions in our county allow. As previously announced, winter 2021 classes will begin fully online Jan. 4. At this time—provided the current Stay at Home order is lifted—we are hoping to be able to schedule move-in at the end of January or early February.
We realize that having a firm date is important for many reasons, not least of which is having enough lead time to make plans for travel. Given the uncertainty of COVID-19 trends in our county, we recommend that families tentatively plan for a late-January/early-February move-in, but keep their travel plans flexible.
While we know this situation is causing great stress and sadness, please remember that the Stay at Home order reflects an urgent health situation that requires everyone’s vigilance to reverse. Our priority is keeping our students safe. The health system in Santa Clara County is being taxed severely, as you can see in county tables being updated daily. Until that abates, we are asked to do our part in not bringing additional people into the area.
To answer the most common questions we received:
- Room Assignments. For most students, the residence hall and room assignments you received on November 20, 2020 are expected to remain the same until move-in can occur. Depending on several variables including timing and resident numbers, some students may receive building/room reassignments for safety purposes.
- Billing for Room and Board. Room and board charges for winter term have been billed to student accounts, with payments due Dec. 21. Those who have been billed for on-campus housing and have not submitted a cancellation request to the Housing Department will retain their contracts and their room assignment until they can move in.
- Room and Board Payment Due Date Extensions. Due to the current uncertainty, there will be no late charges for those who do not meet the Dec. 21 payment deadline for housing charges. However, you must still meet the Dec. 21 deadline for tuition. Pro-rated winter housing charges will need to be paid in full by a future midFebruary deadline, which we expect to set when we announce the final move-in date. For those who may need a special payment plan to assist in paying for housing charges, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, so that we can assist you. If a family pays or already has paid the student account balance in full, their housing charges will be adjusted on a prorated basis as soon as possible in winter quarter. Any credit balance from the overpayment will roll over to be applied toward spring term charges.
- Cancellations. Students may cancel their winter/spring 2021 housing contract with no financial penalty. Requests for cancellation of winter/spring housing should be sent by the student to email@example.com. Please note that this will cancel their housing for winter and spring terms even if we are able to open up later in winter term.
- Housing credits will likely not show up until mid-January 2021, shortly after the final move-in date is announced.
- Tuition: Please make arrangements to pay tuition and fees by the December 21 payment deadline. For questions about student accounts please contact One Stop at 408-551-1000 during business hours M-F 9:00am - 4:00pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about payment plans, please contact Bursarpayplan@scu.edu.
- Spring 2021 Housing. Those who are confirmed for winter 2021 housing will keep their contracts and room assignments into spring quarter. Please check your email and the housing website for regular updates, as we continue to monitor conditions and our ability to bring additional students back to student housing at SCU.
- COVID-19 Testing. On-campus residents should expect to be tested twice their first week—once on the Monday or Tuesday after they arrive, and again later in the week (Thursday or Friday). Thereafter, weekly testing will be required, with testing available Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays at one of three locations on campus. Please see our Testing Protocol page for more information.
We will be communicating regularly to keep you updated on the latest information we receive from state and county officials, and provide final move-in plans as soon as possible.
Please email email@example.com if you have further questions. We are grateful for your patience and flexibility.
Associate Vice President for Auxiliary Services