Vigil for Middle East Peace and Community Conversations
Dear Campus Community,
We are all deeply dismayed and saddened by the horrific attacks perpetrated in Israel over the weekend and the continuing reports of death and destruction in Israel and Gaza, as war unfolds.
We know the situation impacts many in our community, who may have colleagues, friends and loved ones in the area. The heart-wrenching situation continues, and we must seek to provide comfort and support to one another.
On Tuesday, Oct. 10, at 6:30 p.m., please join me and members of our community, all of whom are invited to gather at the fountain on Abby Sobrato Mall for a Candlelight Vigil for Peace. It is in such moments where simple gestures of understanding and support are important.
In addition, SCU will be hosting a series of special Community Conversations both via Zoom and in-person to bring the community together to engage in dialogue and reflection.
- Wednesday, Oct, 11, 2023, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. via Zoom (register here)
- Thursday, Oct. 12, 2023, 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m., in person, St. Clare Room (3rd floor), Library
- Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2023, 12 noon to 1 p.m. via Zoom (register here)
We encourage any student from the area or otherwise in need of support to contact the Office of Student Life, Benson 205. Additional resources for students, faculty, and staff are listed below.
Together, we pray for reconciliation and peace in the region, and we express sorrow for all victims of war and conflict. As Pope Francis said yesterday, “every war is a defeat.”
- Campus Ministry. Staff are available from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and can be reached at 408-554-4372 or 408-551-1930 and email@example.com.
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). Located at Cowell Center, CAPS is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and is reachable at 408-554-4501. Crisis (drop-in) hours are available daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. CAPS 24/7 is available for after-hours crisis calls by calling (408) 554-5220.
- The Office for Multicultural Learning. Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or as requested at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-551-7152.
- Office of Student Life. The Office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and can be reached at 408-554-4583.
- Residence Hall Support. Students who live on campus may reach out to their Resident Director, Faculty Director, Therapist in Residence, or Spirituality Facilitators for support and assistance.
- Students can also contact Campus Safety Services for assistance reaching service providers, especially after hours, at 408-554-4441.
- For faculty and staff, information about the confidential Concern Employee Assistance Program is available 24/7.
Santa Clara University
500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara CA 95053