Presidential Search Committee Update
Dear Members of the Santa Clara University Community,
I hope this summer is giving you ample time for rest and to spend quality time with your loved ones.
With this message, I am pleased to announce the launch of the Presidential Search Committee and its members. As Larry Sonsini and I indicated in our June 29th communication to the community, the search committee has been charged with conducting an open, inclusive, and transparent process, and it intends to consult extensively with the University community — faculty, staff, and students — and regularly communicate its progress. Since that communication I have worked with leadership of the Faculty Senate Council and the Staff Senate to solicit nominations for the search committee. I am grateful to Laura Nichols, Chair of the Faculty Senate Council, and Joanna Thompson, Staff Senate President, for thoughtfully considering my request and for providing nominations of faculty and staff to serve on the committee.
The Presidential Search Committee members are:
- Matthew Carnes, S.J., M.Div. '03 *, Vice-Chair, Board of Trustees
- Aldo Billingslea, Father William J. Rewak S. J., Professor of Theatre Arts
- Laura Doyle, Lecturer in Civil, Environmental and Sustainable Engineering; Assessment Liaison, Office of Assessment
- Rebecca Guerra '73, MBA '78, Trustee
- Tim Haley '81, Trustee
- Molly Joseph '96, Trustee
- Erin Kimura-Walsh '98, Director, LEAD Scholars Program
- Sergio Lopez '91, Manager of Direct Appeal, University Relations
- Jeff Miller '73, MBA '76, Trustee
- Bob Smith, Trustee
- Larry Sonsini, Hon. '04, Chair, Board of Trustees
- Paul Soukup, S.J., M.Div, '78, S.T.M. '79, Pedro Arrupe, S.J., Professor, Communication Department
- Agnieszka Winkler, MBA '81, Trustee
*Indicates Search Committee Chair
With the expansion of the eligible applicant pool to include non-Jesuit candidates, we anticipate recruiting a diverse pool of candidates whose leadership, experience, and acumen can position Santa Clara for ever greater impact, in Silicon Valley and the world, based in its Jesuit, Catholic character and mission. Towards that end, we are in the process of recruiting a search firm to assist throughout the search process.
The committee continues to welcome nominations from the community. Nominations, as well as suggestions and/or comments regarding the search process, can be sent to email@example.com. In addition, throughout the process the committee will continue to post updates to the Presidential Search Committee website at scu.edu/presidential-search.
As the search progresses, I will keep you informed about the process and invite input from the community. The committee’s first meeting is scheduled for Friday, August 13, 2021 after which I will provide an update. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support of this process as we identify the next president of Santa Clara University.
Matthew Carnes, S.J., M.Div. '03
Chair, Presidential Search Committee
Vice-Chair, SCU Board of Trustees