Dear Members of the Santa Clara University Community,
During what has been a very challenging year, Santa Clara continues to move ahead with an optimism fueled by the resiliency and care community members exhibit each and every day. Those qualities have been a source of motivation for members of the Presidential Search Committee as well, and we are pleased to provide an update on our search for the next President of Santa Clara University.
Over the past few months, we have distributed the leadership profile broadly to a diverse national audience to generate interest in our search. This document represented a collective vision for the future of the University, and the message resonated with others. We received more than 170 nominations and 59 applications from individuals representing a broad range of backgrounds, institutions and fields. We have engaged personally with potential candidates to gain some insight into how people perceived the opportunity. Across the board, candidates expressed admiration for Santa Clara’s academic excellence, deep commitment to student-centered education and innovation in the Jesuit tradition, and forward-leaning posture in Silicon Valley. We were excited by their commitment to our mission and the fresh perspectives that they could bring to the University.
Earlier this week, the Search Committee evaluated applicants against the leadership profile and narrowed the group to a smaller pool of candidates. These candidates will participate in confidential virtual interviews with the Search Committee in early January. After those conversations, the Search Committee will identify 3-4 finalist candidates. We will continue to update the community as we proceed through the search.
Thank you for your contributions to the search and for your commitment to helping us find an outstanding leader to serve as the next president of Santa Clara. In this holiday season, marked by so many signs of hope, we are genuinely delighted to move to the next stage of the process with these exceptional candidates. Happy holidays.
Matthew Carnes, S.J., M.Div. '03
Chair, Presidential Search Committee
Vice Chair, SCU Board of Trustees
Chair, SCU Board of Trustees
SCU Presidential Search Committee Members
- Matthew Carnes, S.J., M.Div. '03 *, Vice-Chair, Board of Trustees
- Aldo Billingslea, Father William J. Rewak S. J., Professor of Theatre Arts
- Laura Doyle, Lecturer in Civil, Environmental and Sustainable Engineering; Assessment Liaison, Office of Assessment
- Rebecca Guerra '73, MBA '78, Trustee
- Tim Haley '81, Trustee
- Molly Joseph '96, Trustee
- Erin Kimura-Walsh '98, Director, LEAD Scholars Program
- Sergio Lopez '91, Director, Annual Giving Strategies, University Relations
- Jeff Miller '73, MBA '76, Trustee
- Bob Smith, Trustee
- Larry Sonsini, Hon. '04, Chair, Board of Trustees
- Paul Soukup, S.J., M.Div, '78, S.T.M. '79, Pedro Arrupe, S.J., Professor, Communication Department
- Agnieszka Winkler, MBA '81, Trustee
*Indicates Search Committee Chair