STEM Project Update: Refined Vision Statement and New Academic Planning Team
June 27, 2016
Santa Clara University continues to make progress in planning for the University STEM initiative. Recent developments include the formation of a new Academic Planning Team and the development of a refined STEM vision statement.
The Academic Planning Team (APT) members are:
- Mark Aschheim, Professor and Chair, Civil Engineering (Co-Chair)
- Prashanth Asuri, Assistant Professor, Bioengineering
- Amelia Fuller, Associate Professor, Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Angel Islas, Associate Professor, Biology
- Michelle Marvier, Professor, Environmental Studies and Sciences (Co-Chair)
- Lisa Millora, Senior Assistant Provost for Strategic Initiatives and Provost's Office Relations, Provost's Office
- Tonya Nilsson, Senior Lecturer, Civil Engineering
The APT has been tasked with developing an educational master plan for STEM in broad consultation with STEM faculty and staff. The team will also appoint and provide general leadership to additional sub-committees addressing issues such as facilities, academic and institutional policies, operations and management, STEM community, and network.
Members of the STEM community participated in a retreat and educational master planning workshop in March and were surveyed about the key themes that emerged. Throughout the spring quarter, representatives of several STEM leadership committees utilized the input to revise the STEM vision statement. A final version of the vision statement was endorsed by the Executive Committee on June 9, 2016:
Inspired by our Jesuit ideals and Silicon Valley’s culture of collaboration and innovation, we form leaders in science, engineering, and mathematics to forge breakthroughs, solve society’s most complex problems, and build a more humane, just, and sustainable world.