To support the students, faculty and staff at Santa Clara University during suspended operations, Campus Recreation has put together this list of links that cover topics like at-home workouts, managing your free time and more.
Although we aren't able to offer in-person programming at our facilities at this time, we will continue to support you by providing wellness resources. The following list provides online resources to help keep you active until our facilities reopen and programs resume.
Note: The following resources are suggestions from Campus Recreation staff and are not officially endorsed by Santa Clara University or its affiliates.
Stay Active at Home Indoor Options
Below are a variety of links to indoor exercise options - these are all free options. If you have an option you would like to suggest for us to post please email it to email@example.com and we will add them when we are able
- No equipment at home workouts by ACE
- HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workouts by ACE
- Tone it Up - free IOS app through April 22
- High Fitness (modern day jazzercise) & they have some of their classes on YouTube as well
- Matrixs variety of at-home exercise ideas
- Les Mills at-home workouts - on demand (variety of options- body pump, cycling, etc.)
- Peloton app - free 90-day trial (cycling, running, yoga, meditation)
- Orangetheory classes on YouTube
- Planet Fitness at-home workouts (YouTube)
- Free Yoga workouts
- 20-minute vinyasa flow from Lululemon
- Ignatian Yoga
- Do Yoga with me
- Jaden Zhao, '14 has virtual classes on Instagram: @jiarenyogastudio
- Yoga with Adriene (YouTube)
- Bronco Workout Wednesdays - videos by our own SCU student-athletes launching each Wednesday
Stay at Home Outdoor Options
Close to Santa Clara University are many outdoor activities to get out during the shelter in place but still be able to maintain 6 feet of social distancing. This is not all the possibilities and if you have other suggestions please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add them as we are able.
- The Stanford Dish - as of April 2 this trail has closed
- Castle Rock State Park trail
- Vasona Lake and Los Gatos Creek County Parks
In addition, you can just run, walk or roll from your house in different directions each day. We would love to know if you are doing this and if you are please share your distance with us - we would like to know how far you went & would love to see how far the SCU community can go. We will keep you updated on the progress. Click here to log your miles (log as many times as you would like).
Dry-land Workouts for Swimmers
With the Sullivan Aquatic Center closed at this time you are not able to get your laps in here are some free options for free dry-land workouts. If you have other activities for swimmers to do at this time pass them on to email@example.com and we will get them posted as we are able
Sports and Recreation Options
Here are some links to various videos to help you improve your game & your mind while the facilities are closed.
- Basketball - how to perfect your shot YouTube Video
- Volleyball - many videos on how to coach volleyball (YouTube)
- Soccer - various training drills on YouTube by Epic Soccer
- Ultimate Frisbee - trick shots and more (YouTube)
- Golf Tee App - IOS or Google Play - are you missing the greens - play 9 holes on 6 courses for free
- On-line brain games- by Braingle.com
Staying Calm at this time - meditation apps & other ideas
At this time of COVID-19 and the shelter in place - you might just need to take a minute & calm yourself with a deep-breath - these are some free options we have found. If you have other options for the SCU community please pass them on to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get them posted as I am able
- Calm app
- Oak app (for IOS)
- Insight Timer
- Gratitude (journaling app)
- Shine (various links to different anxiety, depression, and meditations)
- Sanvello (free at this time on-demand options to help with anxiety and depression)
- Headspace app - has some free options at this time
- Breath2Relax app
- Smiling Mind app
- I-phone coloring apps
- Science of Happiness - free 10-week class
Purchasing coloring books or journals are also good activities to clear your minds.
Stay spiritual with our friends in Campus Ministry - click here to see their website.
Virtual Run, Walk, Roll - How Many Miles can the SCU Community Log?
Campus Recreation wants to see how many miles the SCU Community can log at this time. We know we are staying at home but we still need to get out and be active. Run, walk, or roll from your house in different directions each day. We would love to know if you are doing this and if you are please share your distance with us click here to log your miles (log as many times as you would like). We will update the Leaderboard each Monday by the end of the business day. Stay active SCU.
Virtual Run, Walk, Roll Leader Board
As of 5/26 at 10:30 a.m. the SCU community has logged the following miles: 2,346.41 miles (we are 84 miles shy of Detriot, Michigan from SCU)
Students have logged 112 times
Faculty/Staff have logged 178 times
The top 3 students are:
- Lypinator 334.30 miles
- Kristen D. 133 miles
- Alex H 109.2 miles
The top 3 faculty/staff are:
- Meg G 499.66 miles (I feel like I should round up to 500 miles!)
- CB90 337.1 miles
- Psychling 206 miles
Thank you for participating - we will update this leaderboard again after next Monday, June 1 by the end of the business day. Can we get to the east coast by Monday as we hit the month of June? This event will end finals week.