Skip to main content

Move In


There are funds available to support relocation and start-up expenses for tenure-stream faculty, and for some other ranks. Check with the department chair if you are a senior lecturer, term faculty or faculty with a special appointment. University Guidelines require that certain conditions be met:

  • moving expenses must be incurred within a year of the starting date of employment
  • distance from one’s new home to SCU can’t be greater than the distance from one’s former home to SCU
  • SCU must be at least 50 miles farther from your former home than your old job location

Reimbursements are limited to:

  • reasonable expenses related to moving your household goods and personal effects
  • one-way travel from your former home to your new one for you and your immediate family via the most direct route (transportation, lodging, parking fees, tolls, gas/oil if you use your own car using the current I.R.S. mileage rate)

For all ranks, the amount of relocation assistance must be negotiated with the dean at the time of the employment offer and subsequently approved by the President, provost, or appropriate vice president. For incoming assistant professors, the top available amount is $4,000. Full and associate professors may negotiate for more, and renewable term and fixed term lecturers may or may not receive grants. Reimbursement requests are normally submitted after September 1 of the starting year and must be submitted within a year of the starting date of employment.

A word of warning: relocation assistance is not considered part of one’s salary and is therefore taxed at the marginal rate, which is close to 50%. This tax “hit” is processed on the final paycheck of the calendar year (in late December), so budget for a smaller check at that time.

Further information about faculty relocation is available in

  • the university's Relocation Policy, hosted at the Controller's Office site, and
  • chapter 1 of the College Protocols, Policies, and Procedures published by the College of Arts & Sciences.

Rental Assistance Program for Tenure-stream Faculty

The University owns some homes, town-houses and apartments near campus that incoming tenure-track and tenured professors are eligible to rent at a discount relative to typical local rental rates. Tenure-stream faculty rent these units during the probationary period and vacate them within a year of receiving their tenure decisions. Tenured faculty are eligible to receive the assistance during their first year at SCU. The amount the University subsidizes to keep the rents low (the subvention) is considered taxable income by the IRS. The program is managed by the Provost’s Office and is administered by Property Management (554-4104). (Information about the Purchase Assistance Program for tenure-stream faculty, which supports buying a primary residence in the area, is available from the same link).

Professional Development Funds

Newly hired assistant, associate, and full professors normally receive $5,000 in professional development funds at the beginning of their appointment (no earlier than September 1 of the first year). Assistant professors can use these funds at any time during their probationary period (the first six years); newly hired faculty with tenure must use them within the first five years of employment.

Renewable term lecturers and fixed term lecturers are eligible to apply for such funds; grants of up to $250 are available once a year for fixed term lecturers, while grants of up to $500 are available to renewable term lecturers. These funds are administered by the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences. The annual deadline for application is June 20, and funds must be spent within the next fiscal year.

Further information about faculty relocation is available in chapter 1 of the College Protocols, Policies, and Procedures published by the College of Arts & Sciences.

Start-up Funds

Newly hired tenure-stream faculty can negotiate for start-up funds at the time of their offer of employment. These funds are normally spent on specialized equipment or supplies, and you will normally need to itemize anticipated expenses in order to qualify. Funds must be used within the probationary period and are not available until September 1 of your starting year. Again, see chapter 1 of the College Protocols, Policies, and Procedures published by the College of Arts & Sciences.

First-year Course Reduction for Tenure-stream Faculty

Tenure-stream faculty normally teach six courses per quarter, and in our department that customarily has been broken out into two introductory or RTC 1 courses, two intermediate or RTC 2 courses, and 2 advanced or RTC 3 courses (or 1 RTC 3 and one graduate course in the Graduate Program in Pastoral Ministries). During the first year you are with us, the University provides one course release in the quarter of your choosing to help you establish a rhythm for your research in a year otherwise dominated by adjusting to a new environment and teaching responsibilities.