Spirituality & Health Institute
The Spirituality and Health Institute (SHI) is devoted to exploring the complex relationship between spirituality and health from an interdisciplinary, multicultural perspective.
Faculties from Santa Clara as well as other universities (Stanford, UC Berkeley, the Graduate Theological Union, and Sophia University) participate in a variety of collaborative research, teaching and outreach projects. The intention behind SHI is to bring creative, thoughtful and rigorous scholarly pursuit to better elucidate the relationship between spirituality and health.
Santa Clara University Faculty Participants
Visit the professors' pages below for a brief biography and to learn about their interests.
- Thomas G. Plante, Psychology (Director of SHI)
- Diane Dreher, English (Associate Director of SHI)
- Shauna L. Shapiro, Counseling Psychology
- David Feldman, Counseling Psychology
- Judith Dunbar, English
- Barbara Burns, Liberal Studies
Faculty Participants from Other Universities
- Carl E. Thoresen, Stanford University
- Doug Oman, University of California at Berkeley
- T. Anne Richards, University of California, Berkeley
- Kathleen Wall, Sophia University
- Ed Bourg, Alliant University/California School of Professional Psychology
- John Richard White, Alliant University/California School of Professional Psychology
- Susan Phillips, Graduate Theological Union
- Plante, T. G. (Ed.).(2015). The Psychology of Compassion and Cruelty: Understanding the Emotional, Spiritual, and Religious Influences.Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger/ABC-CLIO.
- Plante, T. G. (Ed.). (2012). Religion, Spirituality, and Positive Psychology: Understanding the Psychological Fruits of Faith.Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger/ABC-CLIO.
- Plante, T. G. (Ed.). (2010). Contemplative Practices in Action: Spirituality, Meditation, and Health. Praeger/Greenwood.
- Plante, T. G., & Thoresen, C. E. (Eds.) (2007). Spirit, Science and Health: How the Spiritual Mind Fuels Physical Wellness.Westport, CT: Praeger/Greenwood.
- SHI Bibliography
For further information about the Spirituality and Health Institute, please contact Tom Plante at firstname.lastname@example.org.