Campus Sustainability Internships
Each intern’s responsibilities enhance SCU’s ability to: a) achieve climate neutrality, b) practice responsible consumerism, c) develop a culture of sustainability among all students, faculty, staff, alumni, and visitors, and d) use the campus as a living laboratory for developing global solutions. All work will align with the Sustainability Strategic Plan (SSP).
APPLY NOW for a sustainability internship! Applications are due end of day, Sunday, April 5th.
CLIMATE ACTION & EDUCATION
The Sustainability Intern for Climate Action & Education contributes to one of the main goals of the Center for Sustainability: helping the University achieve climate neutrality. This intern will be instrumental in developing marketing for, and assisting in the management of, academic programs and climate neutrality initiatives, such as the Campus Sustainability Investment Fund, sustainability minor, and the University’s Sustainability Strategic Plan. This intern will also directly support the work of the Faculty Associates of the Center for Sustainability and help coordinate Sustainability Series events.
- Strong writing, marketing, research, and project management skills
- Experience with data compilation and event planning
(STUDENT) COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
The Sustainability Intern for Community Engagement works to create and enhance a culture of sustainability among SCU community members including undergraduate and graduate students and faculty and staff. This is achieved through annual and quarterly programming such as SUST FEST, Swap for Good, LOCALS Social and Potluck, and Move-Out initiatives. As well, the intern works to facilitate a group of sustainability change agents through leading the Sustainability Guide Trainings and spearheading the Student Sustainability Advisory Board.
- Lives off-campus (preferred)
- Experience in creative event coordination (i.e. SUST FEST)
- Comfortable speaking in front of a crowd and giving presentations
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to get down and dirty and lift 20 lbs.
- Previous leadership experience with on-campus clubs
The Sustainability Intern for Employee Relations supports SCU employees in exploring how sustainability integrates into their workplace and personal lives. This intern directly contributes to the Center for Sustainability pillars of climate neutrality and responsible consumption through collaborative work with Parking & Transportation Services to create, implement, and analyze a campus-wide Commute Survey. This position is responsible for facilitating the employee peer educator/ liaison program which provide tools to lead a more sustainable life and encourage their peers to do so as well. This intern also assists with annual events to engage employees, such as the campus employee Wellness Fair and the Sustainability Celebration & Champion Awards.
- Confident in public speaking and event planning
- Has an interest in engaging a broader audience beyond undergraduate students
- Has sufficient skills in Excel and marketing tools like Canva
- Strong writing skills to compile reports on research
- Comfortable facilitating audiences of peers and others
- Willingness to collaborate with other interns and campus organizations
The Waste Diversion Intern assists the University in working towards the goal of zero-waste. This intern works closely with University Operations to assess the campus waste diversion process by collecting waste data, organizing waste audits, developing campus signage and collaborating on waste diversion systems and trainings for campus organizations and departments. The intern serves as an “expert” of SCU’s campus waste and is expected to speak and present on waste diversion. Qualified applicants should be innovative thinkers who are extremely passionate about waste reduction and sustainability, willing to get a little dirty, highly organized, flexible and patient, and confident speaking in public and to all campus stakeholders.
- Prior knowledge of accurate waste sorting, understanding of the political and social context of global waste management, and ability to effectively articulate the connections between waste and climate change
- Experience and comfort with Google Suite (primarily Google Sheets and Google Forms
- Confident in public speaking
- Ability to lift 20 lbs.
This Sustainability Intern for Zero Waste assists the University in working towards the goal of zero waste to landfills by the end of 2020. This intern engages the campus by promoting the 4R’s - reduce, reuse, recycle, and respect, leading reuse initiatives that divert waste from the landfill by reducing source waste and increasing the share economy on campus. This intern leads programs such as the Bronco Surplus Stand, Move-Out waste diversion in the residence halls, Lending Library and Share Shelf. The intern will play a major role in SCU’s strategic food waste reduction initiatives through the data collection event “Scrape Your Plate” and complementary events. Besides our typical 10-hr work week during the quarter, this internship position requires work during finals week (around classes/finals), the first week of summer break, and Sept 5th through 17th. Employment through the summer is also available for this position.
- Not afraid to do a little ground work and get “dirty”
- Organized and has experience in project coordination and logistics
- Confident in public speaking
- Strong people skills or previous experience in a customer service-like role
APPLY NOW for a sustainability internship! Applications are due Thursday, March 26th.