Fresh From the Forge
Allison Carmody '17, Sustainability Intern for Food and Dining
Make April the month of cooking in-season. Check out the local Farmers' Markets and the fresh produce sections of your favorite grocery store to pick up healthy ingredients. Fresh, in-season produce is a gateway into the world of delicious, flavorful meals that keep mealtime exciting.
In the Bay Area, look around for these foods in April:
- Broccoli & Cauliflower
- String Beans
- Leeks & Spring Onions
- Bok Choy
- Sweet Peas
- Kale, Chard & Lettuce
- Brussel Sprouts
Need a plan for all this delightful produce?
- Here’s a vegetarian recipe marrying Cauliflower & Chickpeas to create a dish both adults & kids will enjoy.
- Take the monotony out of the desk lunch with this Beet, Fennel & Citrus salad. A triple-whammy in the seasonality category!
- Make this Creamy Carrot & Ginger soup to soothe the tummy. Add on some caramelized leeks for extra flare.
- Pair Miso-glazed cod with sauteed Bok Choy. Serve over green tea infused rice
- For a great side dish to a burger (vegetarian or meat!), get to chopping up the cabbage for this classic American coleslaw.
- Take brussel sprouts & asparagus from the "avoided vegetables" to the most sought-after side dish with this balsamic roasted twist!