Fresh From the Forge
Allison Carmody '17, Sustainability Intern for Food and Dining
Now that the sun shines long into the evening and the temperatures are ripe for barbequing, fire up your grill, invite friends over, and celebrate the summer! Cooking in the summer means platefuls of fresh vegetables, sweet fruit, and berries. Here are some ideas you may want to try!
- Master the art of grilled pizza and top it with fresh cheese from the farmer’s market and an heirloom tomato sauce.
- Grilled peaches four ways...definitely try all four for breakfast, lunch & dinner!
- Simply saute up veggies from the farmer’s market, add in fresh tomatoes, and serve over pasta or your favorite grain.
- Bake up a plate of cornbread using fresh corn & basil. Try topping with a tomato jam!
- Make a quick change-up from the classic caesar salad and grill your romaine; it’s quick and scrumptious.
And if the summer heat is just too overwhelming to turn on the oven, try out these no-bake desserts!
- Sunflower date cookies, perfect for a snack after working in the garden.
- A simple American classic: chocolate icebox cake.
- Take a trip back to childhood with Scotcharoos!
- Use blueberries & cherries to make this festive grilled galette.
If you’re looking for fresh vegetables to start off a summer of delicious food, stop by the Forge Farm Stand, every Friday from 11:30 am - 1:30 pm.