SCU x UN Sustainable Development Goals
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a list of seventeen objectives created by the United Nations.They describe how efforts to end global issues, such as poverty and education inequality, can go hand in hand with fighting climate change and its impacts.
This year, the Center for Sustainability launched a social media series highlighting how different SCU organizations are contributing to each of the SDGs. The posts also include Sustainability Playbook actions that students, faculty, and other community members can take to align their personal efforts with the goals. Check out the four SDGs we’ve featured so far:
Goal 1 – Zero Poverty
Focus of the Goal: End poverty in all its forms everywhere
SCU Highlight: Civil Engineering students worked with SCU's Frugal Innovation Hub to create climate smart farming solutions in rural Uganda. Not only does their sustainable agriculture system conserve water, use less land, and provide an alternative to harmful fertilizers, but it also allows women to earn a higher income and stay out of poverty by growing their own food for their families.
Featured Playbook Action: Work on projects to help those in vulnerable situations improve their climate resilience
Goal 2 – Zero Hunger
Focus of the Goal: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture
SCU Highlight: The Food Recovery Network (FRN) salvages edible food from Benson and Pizza My Heart and donates the leftovers to those in need in our local community!
Featured Playbook Action: Plan meals before purchasing to reduce food waste
Goal 3 – Good Health and Well-Being
Focus of the Goal: Ensuring healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
SCU Highlight: SCU Emergency Medical Services is a student-run medical care organization. Their mission is to provide a healthy and safe campus community with immediate medical response in cases of emergency or injury.
Featured Playbook Action: Learn about the 8 dimensions of wellness and develop new strategies to prioritize your overall well-being
Goal 4 – Quality Education
Focus of the Goal: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
SCU Highlight: The LEAD Scholars Program strives to create an equitable college experience in which first-generation students at SCU are supported through such initiatives as academic courses, vocational exploration, and emergency funding.
Featured Playbook Action: Advocate for textbook affordability
View our full SDG posts by visiting our Instagram page, @sustainablescu!
Explore the organizations cited in this story:
- The United Nations Sustainable Development, “THE 17 GOALS,” https://sdgs.un.org/goals.
- The Center for Sustainability, “Playbooks,” https://www.scu.edu/sustainability/commitment/strategicplan/playbooks/.
- The Frugal Innovation Hub, https://www.scu.edu/engineering/labs--research/labs/frugal-innovation-hub/.
- The Frugal Innovation Hub, “Climate Smart Farming for Uganda,” https://www.scu.edu/engineering/stories/engineering-news-spring-2018/climate-smart-farming-for-uganda.html.
- Santa Clara University Emergency Medical Services, http://www.scuems.com/.
- Center for Student Involvement, “8 Dimensions of Wellness,” https://www.scu.edu/csi/getconnected/bewellbroncos/.
- The LEAD Scholars Program, https://www.scu.edu/lead/.
Nov 1, 2020
Santa Clara University supports the Sustainable Development Goals