The Road to Sustainable Summer Travel
Erin Ronald '19
School’s out, time to hit the road! Have an internship this summer? A job? Restaurants to try? Hikes to conquer? Want to save money and reduce your carbon emissions? There are many ways to transform your commute to a more sustainable one.
Reduce stress and cut the costs of commuting
- Try hopping on a VTA bus that will take you anywhere for $2.25. Check out this link that tells you how to bus to Campbell Farmers Market, Stanford Mall, Valley Fair, Santana Row, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Mountain View and more!
- To avoid parking in San Francisco, try out the Caltrain and relax the whole way.
Reuse rides by carpooling
- Ask around your office to see if anyone is coming from the same area as you!
- If not, download SCOOP to find carpools with your neighbors.
Re-Cycle on your way to and from work
- Need to get somewhere but don’t have a bike? Check out all the bike shares taking over Silicon Valley and give them a try.
- Use these maps to see established bike lanes in your area.
- If your route doesn’t have bike lanes, tell the city where you need them here and help Santa Clara County with their updated bike plan!
Respect your neighborhood