Meltdown & Spectre - Web Browsers
Web Browser Update Schedule
- Google Chrome - January 23, 2018
- Mozilla Firefox ESR - January 23, 2018
- Mozilla Firefox - January 23, 2018
- Apple Safari - now available
- Microsoft Internet Explorer - now available
- Microsoft Edge - now available
Information Services will be sending the web browser patches out to University owned computers with BigFix as patches become available.
Instructions to Manually Update your Web Browser
(For University owned computers that do not have BigFix and for student, home and personal computers.)
1. Click on the “three dots” in the upper right corner (Customize and Control Settings of Google Chrome)
2. Choose "Help", "About Google Chrome".
3. Verify Chrome is up-to-date. If it needs an update, you'll see the download progress, followed by a prompt to restart Google Chrome.
Mozilla Firefox and Firefox ESR
1. Click on the “three lines” in the upper right corner (Open Menu)
2. Click on the question mark icon near the bottom of the menu.
3. Click on "About Firefox" in the new menu.
4. In the center of the About Mozilla Firefox box, click on the "Check for updates" button. Follow the prompts to restart Firefox if there is an update available.
You should be running Apple Safari 11.0.2 or higher to mitigate against the Spectre vulnerability. Please note that Safari 11.0.2 is only available for macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS 10.12 (Sierra) and Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). The Safari update is bundled with the macOS 10.13.2 Supplemental Update if you are running High Sierra.
1. Click on the main Apple menu and choose "App Store".
2. In the App Store window, choose the "Updates" icon on the far right.
3. Install any updates listed to bring your computer up-to-date. (Note that if you want to upgrade to macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), you would do so from the "Featured" option in the App Store.)
Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge are updated using Microsoft Update.
For Windows 10:
Click on Start, Settings (the gear icon on the lower left side of the Start menu), Update & Security. Click on "Check for updates" to scan for the latest updates.
For Windows 7:
Click on Start. In the search box, type in Update. From the list of options, choose "Windows Update". Click on "Check now" to scan for the latest updates.