Alumni in the Classroom
Studying Theatre Arts at a liberal arts university with a clear mission to affect the greater good with your gifts and talents means that those gifts and talents can make an impact in a plethora of ways. Of course, the artist from Santa Clara University is a multi-hyphenate professional who finds ways to live their artistic lives in many forms, but we wanted to take a special moment to highlight the Teaching work that is happening amongst our alumni.
Broncos are filling the classrooms and studio halls of schools, universities, conservatories, theater companies, private practices, and in conjunction with corporate and professional skills training programs across the country! Here are a few who responded to our request for updates:
- While still staying busy with summer acting gigs, Jeffrey Adams '10 has been the Drama Program Director at Sacred Heart Prep in Atherton for the past four years.
- Skylar Adams '20 is working in the South Bay as a Professional Teaching Artist, Music Director, Choreographer and Assistant Director with Starting Arts in San Jose and she wants us to let you all know that they are hiring!
- Isaac Addai '21 is completing his MFA in Playwriting and Acting at the University of Iowa and is serving as a Research Assistant.
- Kandace Arens McGowan '11 is busy directing and teaching Theatre Arts at Sehome High School in Bellingham, WA.
- Tony Asaro '98 (above) has been teaching in various capacities (including a few lectureships at SCU) for years but has been teaching music, songwriting, digital audio, musical theater, Music and Social Justice, and co-teaching Music and the Brain at Lick-Wilmerding High School in San Francisco for the past few years.
- Jeff Bengford's '89 24 years at Westmont High School has made its Theatre Program a strong and vibrant place for young artists! This year, they are heading to the Edinburgh Theater Festival in Scotland!
- New mom and former SCU Lecturer, Jen Bradford '06 is a visiting Assistant Professor in Theater at Berry College in Rome, Georgia.
- Claire Calalo Berry '07 was recently named the Dance Director at St. Ignatius College Prep in San Francisco!
- Greg Callahan '08 came to visit SCU’s production of The Book of Will which he was also directing at Archbishop Riordan High School in SF where he teaches Theatre Arts. It was great to see you, Greg!
- Erin Coffey '13 has been a longtime arts educator in a number of conservatories and schools and is currently working in Education and Engagement for The Broadway League.
- Katie Fauria '16 teaches English and Language Arts and Speech and Debate at Presentation High School in San Jose.
- Tom Galvin '02 is teaching at Half Moon Bay High School and just held auditions for Urinetown.
- Monique Hafen Adams ’10 has been busy teaching at Hillbarn Theatre’s Conservatory and running her own private vocal studio: Vocals with Monique.
- Recent grad Emma Lenza ’22 jumped right into the world of theater education by becoming an Asst. Teaching Artist with SF Youth Theatre.
- Very busy actor and director, Tom Gough ’87, has taught at UC Davis and Ohlone, and has been teaching at Foothill College/Conservatory since 1996!
- Jessica Manalo Angeles ’05 teaches 6th grade at St. Thomas More, and ballet and Polynesian dance at Westlake School for Performing Arts in San Francisco.
- Broncos are a natural fit for a Jesuit high school so it makes sense that Russ Marcel '95 has been leading the Theatre Department at Bellarmine College Prep along with Peter Canavese '96 for so long!
- Ryan Mardesich '14, after serving as a Lecturer of Musical Theater at SFSU and teaching drama at The Dalton School in NYC and at tons of summer programs, has moved back to Boston and is running his own consulting business for high school seniors who seek assistance with auditions/admissions for top tier Musical Theatre/Acting BFA programs.
- Judy Ngo '16 is in charge of Performing Arts Enrichment at Equitas Academy in LA and formerly taught DeColonized Theatre at Citizens of the World Charter school in LA.
- Chloe Townsend '19 (above) taught dance at Valley Christian High, San Jose, CA and is currently co-director of the Hip-Hop program at Lana’s Dance Studio where she is also the advanced-level ballet teacher and one of the dance team coaches.
- Along with his busy playwriting career, Christian Wilburn '19 is excited to be teaching storytelling for the San Francisco Opera’s program called “The Opera in You”. These sessions are held at public libraries throughout the SF Public Library system. Some students’ stories are then turned into arias by local composers!
Phew! We are a busy bunch of teaching Broncos!!! Thank you for all of your work with the future artists, scholars, creators, dreamers and arts supporters of the future. We are so proud of you all.
Thank you to all who responded to the request to update us on your work. I hope I have included everyone who responded, but I beg your forgiveness if I missed you!