News for the Campus Community
The Faculty-Staff Newsletter, e-mail edition
Santa Clara University, September 17, 2007, Vol. 8, No. 1
SCU Scores high marks in US News rankings
Additional highlights from the U.S. News rankings include:
- SCU had the highest average freshman retention rate—93 percent—of master’s universities in the West. (The freshman retention rate reflects the percentage of freshmen who enroll in their sophomore year.)
- SCU had the second-highest peer assessment score—4.0—of master’s universities in the West.
- SCU’s school of engineering is No. 20 among the top 150 engineering schools in the country that focus on undergraduate and master’s engineering programs.
- A section titled “Programs to Look For” highlighted SCU’s learning and residential communities where students in residence halls take some courses as a group to get to know one another and their professors better.
- Of master’s universities in the West, SCU was also listed among the top 15 in the “Great Schools, Great Prices” category.
The magazine’s rankings relied on: academic reputation, graduation rates, class size, percent of full-time faculty, student/faculty ratios, retention of students, student test scores and grades, student selectivity, financial resource, and alumni giving. The “Best Colleges” rankings are on the U.S. News Web site, www.usnews.com.