- SCU Home Page
- About SCU
- On Campus
- News & Info
SCU installs new seven-foot, bronze statue of St. Ignatius
SANTA CLARA, Calif.- June 4, 2002- This morning, Santa Clara University installed a seven- foot bronze statue of Saint Ignatius of Loyola in Kenna Lawn, symbolizing the University's Jesuit tradition.
It took a crane and four workers to lift and set the 600-pound statue, which was donated by SCU alumni William E. Terry and his wife Janice, in memory of Mary Patricia Terry. William received his bachelor's degree in engineering in 1955. Janice received her master's degree from the University in 1979.
The artist, Lisa Reinertson from Davis, Calif., said that from the time she started, it took approximately one year to create the statue. The process required several tons of clay. After the clay original was complete, the figure was cast in bronze at Artworks Foundry, located in Berkeley, California.
In his hand, the statue holds a book with a quote from St. Ignatius: "The more universal the good, the more it is divine." According to Reinerston, "The quote represents his (St. Ignatius') belief that education should be accessible to everyone and expresses Santa Clara's outspoken commitment to justice."
The statue also contains several images in bas-relief depicting the history of St. Ignatius and the Jesuit philosophy of the "service of faith through the promotion of social justice." Ignatius, a Basque courtier who experienced a religious conversion when he was 30 years old, established the Jesuit order in 1540. He developed The Spiritual Exercises, a method for discovering and responding to God's presence in all things.
The statue's location is part of a University plan to create a plaza that will compliment the contemplative nature of this piece.
SCU President Paul Locatelli, S.J said, "This statue of Ignatius honors the founder of the Jesuits who believed we meet God in this time and place, so that the world may come to be fully alive in God. He also saw education as a way of fashioning a better and more just and humane world for the greater glory of God. This Ignatian vision has and will continue to inspire the Santa Clara community for generations to come. We are most grateful to the Terrys for this beautiful gift."
The sculpture also includes eight crosses representing the individuals killed in El Salvador in 1989.
A formal dedication is scheduled for June 22 at 10:30 a.m. More information on the dedication is available by contacting the SCU president's office at 408-554-4100.
About the artist
Reinertson has performed over a dozen public commissions, including the Cesar Chavez Memorial in Cesar Chavez Park in Sacramento. Her work has been exhibited extensively over the last decade, including Dorothy Weiss Gallery, San Francisco, The City of Savonna, Italy's annual juried exhibition, and the National Arts Club, New York City. She has taught ceramics and sculptures at universities such as Lousiana State University, Santa Clara University, and California State University, Chico. Reinertson received her master's degree in fine arts from the University of California, Davis.
About Santa Clara University
Santa Clara University, a comprehensive Jesuit, Catholic university located in California's Silicon Valley, offers its 7,400 students rigorous undergraduate curricula in arts and sciences, business, and engineering, plus master's and law degrees. Distinguished nationally by the third-highest graduation rate among all U.S. master's universities, California's oldest higher-education institution demonstrates faith-inspired values of ethics and social justice. More information is on line at www.scu.edu.
For more information, call Kelly Shenefiel, at 408-554-5125, or email email@example.com.