General Admissions Requirements
The Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University (JST-SCU) accepts admission applications on a rolling basis. Students are encouraged to apply early if they intend to apply for financial aid. The application deadline for the Doctor of Sacred Theology (STD) and the Licentiate in Sacred Theology (STL) is March 1st for fall semester and October 1st for spring semester. All other applications are due the Friday, 10 days prior to the beginning of instruction each semester. Each application is reviewed individually and each applicant will be notified as soon as an admissions decision is reached.
Applicants to the New Directions Sabbatical program should see Sabbatical application instructions. Applicants to the non-degree programs should see the Special Student application instructions.
Applicants to the Master of Divinity (MDiv), Master of Theological Studies (MTS), Master of Theology (ThM), Licentiate in Sacred Theology (STL), Doctor of Sacred Theology (STD) or Bachelor of Sacred Theology (STB) degree programs must supply the following ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS by program (see below) for exceptions to these requirements:
- Completed & signed application for admission. You may apply to JST-SCU online by completing our Application for Admission through CollegeNet or by downloading our application form, printing, completing, signing and returning it to JST-SCU with supporting documents.
- Non-refundable application fee of $50.00 paid in U.S. dollars. (Domestic students only)
*The $50.00 application fee is waived for international applicants.
- Statement of purpose. Explain why you are applying to JST-SCU for graduate theological studies. Describe your background (academic training, ministerial experience, your current work) and your future career plans. If you have an intended field of concentration, please include this information.
- Official transcripts for all post-secondary academic work. STD applicants need only supply official transcripts for the STL or the SSL.
- Two letters of recommendation. They must address your academic qualifications for graduate level study. Preferably these letters would be from persons who recently taught you. If you have been out of school for an extended period of time, one recommendation from an employer, a professional colleague, or a church or community leader will be acceptable. For those students applying to the MDiv program, the second letter should address your ministerial qualifications for admission to JST-SCU.
- Scores of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the last five years. With the approval of the Admissions Committee, exceptions for the GRE can be made for those applicants who have done recent graduate-level study. For information about the GRE, contact: Educational Testing Service (ETS) Corporate Headquarters, Rosedale Road, Princeton, NJ 08541, USA. Phone 1.609.921.9000 or visit the GRE web site. The JST-SCU institutional code for the GRE is 4367. Official scores should be sent directly to JST-SCU Office of Admissions and Enrollment Management from Educational Testing Service.
* GRE scores are not required for the New Directions Sabbatical program.
- Proficiency in English is required for admission. International students must demonstrate their ability to speak and write English. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required unless:
- The applicant’s native language is English
- The applicant can demonstrate completion of a degree program(s) where English is the language of instruction
- The applicant has completed at least one year of full-time graduate study in an institution where English is the language of instruction.
These applicants must also submit a sample of their academic writing of approximately 20 pages in length.
Applicants who take the Educational Testing Service’s Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must provide acceptable scores to be considered for admission. Official scores should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions and Enrollment Management from the Educational Testing Service. JST-SCU’s institutional code number for TOEFL is 4390. To contact the TOEFL office nearest you, visit www.toefl.org. See the international student application instructions for more information about language requirements for international students.
- Resume: MDiv and STB applicants are required to submit a resume or curriculum vitae to provide information about relevant job experience and education. Your resume should include educational background, relevant experiences, including jobs, internships, community service, activities, languages (if applicable), and research projects. Writing a resume for a graduate school application follows the same principles as writing a resume for a job. Please include dates of attendance for education, job titles and years of employment.
*A resume is encouraged for all other degree programs.