- Welcome & Approval of Minutes
- Update from the President (Kori Lennon)
- The Prevention of Unlawful Harassment and Discrimination Task Force (Task Force charge is here and the membership list is here) will collaborate with the UCC to ensure that the interim policy passes through the normal governance review processes during the 2020-21 academic year before the policy is finalized.
- The Staff Senate will be addressing best practices for staff support as the University’s COVID-19 response transitions from a short-term to a long-term plan.
- Review of Priorities (Kori Lennon)
- The Staff Senate will focus on two essential priorities this academic year:
- 1) advocating for staff needs, and for clear, transparent, timely, and staff-centered communication during the COVID-19 crisis; and
- 2) engaging in anti-racist work that focuses on staff education, outreach and affinity group formation and policy change proposals.
- Introduction of Staff Senate Committees and Committee Chairs
- Elections and Bylaws (Brian Moon)
- Events and Service Committee (Hannah Dahdouh)
- Communications Committee (Andrew Amador-Corrales & Deborah Lohse)
- Timeline and Updates for Working Groups (Joanna Thompson)
- Currently, the three Working Groups are:
- Anti-Racism, which will focus on education and professional development opportunities, outreach and affinity groups, and policy change proposals and recommendations.
- Constituent Engagement, which will focus on developing tools and resources for all Senators to engage with one another and their constituents, solicit feedback and share with the Senate and all staff.
- Benefits, which will focus on improving staff’s awareness of what benefits are available and reviewing the Staff Policy Manual.
- Updates on Liaisons to University Committees (Kori Lennon)
- Senators who would like to volunteer as a liaison are asked to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The following committees still require volunteers:
- One additional Senator to serve a two-year term on the Parking and Transportation Committee.
- One Senator to serve on the Dining Services Advisory Board. This committee will not meet during the fall but hopes to resume meetings in the new year.
- One Senator to serve on the Workplace Sustainability Committee.
- Vote to Approve Updated Staff Senate Representation Groups (Brian Moon)
- Senators approved the proposed change to Attachment A of the Bylaws by a vote of 29-0-2 (Y-N-A).
- Senators and staff members are encouraged to submit any additional questions, comments, modifications, or feedback to the Bylaws to the Staff Senate Elections and Bylaws Committee at: email@example.com.
- Breakout Sessions
- Participants were assigned to breakout sessions to discuss: department area priorities and concerns, staff support needs, and methods for the Staff Senate to offer support. The discussion continued through the open forum portion of the meeting. Some concerns raised included: (see list in meeting minutes linked below).
- Participants on the call suggested the following topics for future consideration: (see list in meeting minutes linked below)
- Open Forum
The August 13th meeting minutes are saved on the Staff Senate Google Drive.
On behalf of the Staff Senate, our Staff community and the entire SCU family, we would like to extend a warm welcome to our incoming senators. Congratulations on being elected senators in your respective areas. We thank you in advance for strengthening our community through your service:
- Samuel Andalon (2020-2021): Development Office
- Michael Brady (2020-2022): University Operations, Campus Safety
- John Callan (2020-2022): Development Office
- Allesandra Dahlberg (2020-2022): Office of Student Life
- Elizabeth Edwards (2020-2022): School of Law
- Dianna Gallagher (2020-2022): Jesuit School of Theology
- Gabriela Guerrero (2020-2022): HR & Kids on Campus
- Adam Hays (2020-22): Information Services
- Sara Hebel (2020-2022): Athletics
- Kim-Ha Ho (2020-2022): Finance and Administration & UFO
- Claire Kreeft (2020-2022): Enrollment Management
- Erica Leyva (2020-2022): Auxiliary Services
- Chi Lo (2020-21): Leavey School of Business
- Deborah Lohse (2020-2022): University Marketing and Communications
- Sarah MacGregor (2020-2022): School of Education and Counseling Psychology
- Bill Mains (2020-22): Leavey School of Business
- Anne McMahon (2020-2022): Office of the President
- Joanna Padua (2020-2022): School of Engineering
- Laura Redman (2020-2022): Athletics
- Erin Reineking (2020-2021): Athletics
- Stacey Sauber (2020-2022): Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship
- Tyler Simpson (2020-2021): Office of Student Life
- Elisa Yanagihashi (2020-22): Office of the Provost
We welcome our returning senators. Congratulations on your re-election, and thank you for your continued engagement:
- Leslie Leonetti (2020-2022): Markkula Center for Applied Ethics
- Brian Moon (2020-2022): Information Services
Bronco Pantry use is at an all-time high and continues to be in need of support. For those interested and able to help, please consider the following options:
- Donated items: During the COVID-19 crisis, a donation bin has been placed inside the lobby of the Campus Safety Services office. The bin is available 24/7 for donation drop-offs. Most needed items include rice, macaroni and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, canned vegetables, microwavable meals (vegetarian friendly), granola bars, dishwashing sponges and dish soap, paper towels, and toilet paper. We, unfortunately, cannot accept homemade items.
- Target eGift Cards can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by selecting the e-mail delivery method. Individual cards of $25, $50, or $100 are preferred. These gifts will be forwarded directly to students in need.
- Safeway Gift Cards can be purchased on our program's Amazon Wishlist. To ensure quick retrieval during the COVID-19 crisis, physical cards will be mailed to Assistant Dean Kimberly Gilkey by selecting "Kim Gilkey's Gift Registry Address" at checkout. Our staff will hand off these gifts directly to the students.
- Cash Donations: Donate directly to our program on the Santa Clara website here.
Thank you for your continued support and generosity!
Office of Student Life
Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Join us, be part of the discussion, and let your voice be heard!
Can't make it? Then submit your questions to StaffSenate@scu.edu
by noon on Monday, September 7, 2020.
Meeting will be held via Zoom.
Link and password will be sent closer to meeting date.